· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your LFS

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Your LFS

0 Not allowed!
    I think this is the best place for this, searched for awhile and don't think any of the other forms would be better. Feel free to move if it really would be better somewhere else.

On to the thread, thought this would be a good place to talk about your LFS. What do you like about your LFS? What I like about the one I frequent is that it's huge compared to most of the othe fish stores in the area. They have a good selection of everything, will special order for you and even have a nice website to let you know what stock they get in/have articles to help our newbies. They can be pricey but they always do have high quality/healthy stock.

http://bestfish.com/index.html

Virtual tour on the site: http://bestfish.com/tour/tour.html

Too bad until I can save enough to move out and get my own place I'm living vicariously off my friend's tank lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Because I do agree with you but its hopeless to tilt at windmills - smaug   For finding the extra dollar! ;) - escamosa   For your nice tank, another neon! - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh gosh, all mine suck.

We have Petsmart and Meijer/Walmart and one locally owned place which is no better.

No one will special order anything and the stock is almost always the same...and they carry dyed and painted fish! Booooo!

But, as I am rarely home, ordering online is usually not an option.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   For educating everyone on sumps! - ~firefly~   For your upcoming tetra school. It may say Neon but the red strip goes all the way forward hence Cardinal. - Strider199   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mrramsey   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - mrramsey   

0 Not allowed!
    YA, I wish I had a LFS instead of the big stores. I have a Petco, they are ok better than my local Pets Supplies Plus, Seems like there are always dead fish in the tanks there.

Petco also sells the dyed fish but the tend to have a decent selection of fish and live plants I guess. The closest fish store to me is about 30 minutes away but I hear they are pretty good.

I order most of my non living stuff now online at Big Al's. They deliver super quick and have good prices.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

until you get your angel :o) - fishmommie   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    have the big box and 3 great LFS, one is call the sea aquarium and is undergroud with a giant salwater pond with sharks and rays in it. one of those stores were you never know what to expect. next is wet pets, pretty good, has the common stuff but are big on odd sized tanks and little oddities. last is fish warehouse, all around good, I like the owner and we talk for liek an hour each time, so i usally go there, one of those mom and pop feel places were some of there merch is dusty, but the tanks are very well taken care of

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   No Message - Indian Woods Angels   You need a Tanganyikan Cichlid - jeffs99dime   Now you have 4 firemouths! - seb's fish   Arapaima and whale shark in 20G made me LOL! - ddavis1979   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Northerly   Autism - Northerly   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788
    have the big box and 3 great LFS, one is call the sea aquarium and is undergroud with a giant salwater pond with sharks and rays in it. one of those stores were you never know what to expect. next is wet pets, pretty good, has the common stuff but are big on odd sized tanks and little oddities. last is fish warehouse, all around good, I like the owner and we talk for liek an hour each time, so i usally go there, one of those mom and pop feel places were some of there merch is dusty, but the tanks are very well taken care of
    Where in NC are you???
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

0 Not allowed!
    I have three in my area
    Petsmart

Jack's pets

World of Pets

all my current fish came from petsmart. the harlequin rasboras will probably come from world of pets...All of my aquariums and aquarium supplies also came from petsmart.

3.5 Gallon Tank = Bella Blue Luna (obtained 5/11/19) - I think a blue mustard female halfmoon

RIP - Helios HM BETTA 03/2016 to 12/31/17

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Not FW set up with a sump is complete without one of these, thanks for the kind words - Cliff   Happy New Year - ScottishFish   

Wink

0 Not allowed!
    My local shop is 1 mile away, they have a varied stock of sick and dying fish and its not good, when I first started out 9 months ago they told me how to cycle a tank "fill it up and turn the filter on for a couple of weeks"
    I have bought fish from them and both times had problems, the 6 guppies had hook worms, and some red eyes with cotton mouth. luckily I have a QT tank.

I now buy all my fish from Kesgrave Tropicals (130 miles away) over the internet and have had 1 neon tetra die during drip acclimatising. all the fish in my tank come from them except the 2 bulldog plecs and and 1 BN plec. Their
    prices are good too

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Kesgrave-Tropicals
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   for the help on plants lol - Greentoads41   I have to buy fish! - ddavis1979   Thanks for the gift. Couldn't find a whale shark lol. Merry Christmas - Northerly   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - ddavis1979   

0 Not allowed!
    I have 3 Petsmarts and 2 Petcos within 15 miles for big box stores.

I have Azaela Aquariums, Fin and Feather, Schoolz of Fish, and Fin and Feather 2 for my independant stores.

Big box - Petsmart seems to have more tanks, better quality, and 14 day gurantee if anything dies, and super cheap prices, watch for sales. Many days I see $3 -$7 fish on sale for $1 each. Best deal so far I found was my 3.5" Opline gourami for $1.50.

Petco - Less tanks, less healthy fish, but tend to carry more exotic species. Prices are higher but you get 30 day return policy.

I have been lucky that the folks at my local petsmart are also experineced fish keepers and tend to have a lot of good advice. However, other big box stores employ idiots who dont know squat about fish.

The independant stores have crappy return policies and more expensive prices, but they will be the most knowledgable and carry healthy exotic fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 Petmarts & 2 Petcos - the Petcos have many more tanks/variety & one of them carries shrimp. None of them have employees that know about fish so I have to come in knowing what I want. I used to get plants from the Petco with the shrimp until they raised their prices. There is also a place near my job that has a nice selection & their supplies tend to be cheaper as well but their fish are never on sale. At that store, I once got to tell a customer that she shouldn't buy a 10gal kit & put fish in it that day.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Because I do agree with you but its hopeless to tilt at windmills - smaug   For finding the extra dollar! ;) - escamosa   For your nice tank, another neon! - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Haha I feel like a total lurker giving out unsolicited fishkeeping advice, but I like possibly helping those poor fish...

At my local Walmart I (hopefully) stopped a teenage girl from putting a fish in a box no bigger than a solo cup. No heater, no filter...I mean, REALLY?

Sorry, a tad off topic. I already put my two cents in about my LFS.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!