· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Redoing Aquascape

0 Not allowed!
    So I started my tank on a tight budget and just mainly went with things I found cheap on craigslist etc... well I regret that, for such a huge part of my living room I want my tank perfect

So what I'm thinking (any input would be appreciated) would be replacing the round natural gravel with Black Diamond "sand". I would also remove the large plastic cave and replace it with a large piece of red lava rock and a few pieces of driftwood.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pet/3432592786.html and http://www.tractorsupply.com/sandbla...50-lb--3905403

The one piece of driftwood I have would need to be cut a bit to fit in the tank differently, and I think I would want to add some low maintenance plants such as java fern.

I think I may start buying supplies slowly and wait up and do it all as a big change. Ideas / Opinions?
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Many people would disagree with me, but I am not a fan of black sand.

I think it saps the color away from plants and some fish will disappear against it.

IMO, the fish and the plants look more vivid against the white, or lighter colored sands, and that its also easier to see when mess starts to build up for cleaning.

The lava rock can be very jagged and rough stuff for the barbels of the cory cats and the fins of gourami. I find driftwood and slate are a good match.

I do like your long term stocking goals!
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm only reason I was looking at lava rock was some decent stuff around my area for sale. I like ur thought process on sand color... any low price white sand (what about play sand)...

Yea im excited about my stock list. Not sure of it will be gbr or cockatoo cichlid
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    If you want white sand, go with pool filter sand. Play sand has to be washed a toooon.
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

6.6 Fluval Chi: planted. stock: 1 male halfmoon betta
    Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I feel like with the small fish I am getting, plus for the cory sake that I kinda have to go with sand. I need to come up with a game plan. Wasn't huge on lava rock since it doesn't provide much in the way of caves etc
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to PFS.

_Sand isn't required for corys, IME they can have perfectly healthy barbels on regular aquarium gravel. Some types live in gravel bottom streams in the wild actually.

As far as the sand color goes, Spend a bit of time with google image search to see what you like. You may notice that the lighting [or lack of] can make a difference wrt the substrates impact.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I think the black substrate and black background make a tank pop. You want your eyes going to what's inside the tank, not the decorations or background. I also find no reason that everything has to be purchased when you're on a budget. You can take a hike and find some pretty rocks that will work for now and find driftwood on beaches and rivers. It must be hardwoods tho and not pines or firs.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I think the black substrate and black background make a tank pop. You want your eyes going to what's inside the tank, not the decorations or background.
    Kinda what I had been thinking, any experience with black diamond?

And in response to your signature... Can big tank = small fish too lol
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85
    ..any experience with black diamond?
    Yep, It's in this tank:

What did you want to know?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    How easy is it to work with / clean?

Any chance HOB filter would suck it up?

Good for plants / fish?

Sharp at all?
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread