· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Aquarium Rack setup

0 Not allowed!
    Hello ladies and gentlemen of Aquatic Community. I am new here and this is my first thread aside from my introduction. :)

I am in the process of designing and building a rack to house several aquariums in my basement. I was just going to set up 1 tank but then I remembered how there are so many kinds of fish I would like to keep. I have kept many kinds in the past but have been on hiatus for the past couple of years due to moving too much to keep aquariums. I have a few ideas of how I would like to build the racks but I would love to have input and suggestions from the experts and newbies and everywhere in between. Especially people who have experience with racks. As of now I am not sure exactly how many tanks I will have but I will get as many as the wife will let me have, mostly ranging from 10-20 gallons. I am hoping nothing larger then a 40 breeder.

a few things to consider before suggestions

1) all fish will be small peaceful species. largest fish will be apisto's or GBR.
    2) I have a reverse osmosis unit so water chemistry shouldn't be too much a problem despite the fact we have liquid rock here in Edmonton.
    3) I would love to rear fry if I am ever so fortunate to have the opportunity. This is one of the major reason for multiple tanks. I have had fish spawn many times on me in the past but never had the means to raise any fry being always limited to 1 tank at a time. To me this would be the most rewarding part of the hobby.
    4) I would like only 1 community tank and the rest to be species tanks, aside from amano shrimp in every tank.

So with that being said I am hoping people can suggest either
    a) species of fish to keep - They must be small and peaceful. Breeding in the home aquarium is a major plus or any kind of fascinating behavior
    b) tank sizes for specific species - input on already selected species would be great!
    c) tank configurations for the aquarium racks - this would be super awesome to have suggestions for.

So far species I know I would like to keep for sure in their common names:
    German Blue Rams
    Cherry barbs
    Celestial Pearl Danios or Galaxy Raspboras
    any dwarf species of corydoras.
    Amano Shrimp
    Cherry red shrimp

All tanks will be using sand and or fine gravel as a substrate with hamburg mattenfilters or general breeder sponge filters. Dirftwood and low maintenance plants also like java ferns and mosses.

As for rack configurations I have a few ideas in mind. Tanks that seem to fit nicely together and could easily build 2 columns of these.

40 breeder on top with 3 15 gallon tanks underneath turned sideways. I think the 40 breeder would well accomodate a breeding pair of gbr's or apistos with some dithers and the 15 gallons can be species specific or for rearing fry. Of course I would need 2 of these setups at least or else 2 rows of 15 gallons.

20 gallon long on top with 3 10 gallon tanks underneath turned sideways. I think the 20 gallon long would be sufficient for a pair of dwarf cichlids but I am not sure. I would like to keep them with dithers for their comfort. Also think the 10g tanks will be a little small for my chosen speciess so far. On the side note I have a few free 10g tanks coming as donations from local aquarists I had dealt with in the past.

Aside from this I really don't have any other ideas. Space isn't much of an issue but I would love to create the illusion that it is smaller then it is for the sake of the wife :)

I know this is a lot and kind of all over the place but I am on meds recovering from a surgery a few days ago so forgive me but I am going crazy sitting here with nothing to do :P

Thanks in advance,
    Josh

0 Not allowed!
    My three tier rack was built for a 20L and a 15g on top.
    Five 10g size foot print tanks on middle and bottom.
    ... I have a number of half 10s, that are great for fry.
    I put the bottom row high enough up to easily get a siphon working for water changes. My goal was to spawn egg layers and move from easy to harder. Realistically, yeah, right. I usually have various live bearers in the middle tanks and I swapped two 18 x 24 breeder tanks into the bottom row for plecos.

What I'll add someday - fixed PVC tubing with individual fill valves over each tank.

Check out this link, for a fry rearing setup
    http://corydorasworld.com/the_fish_h...ng_fry_raising

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply dbosman!

Great tip for having the bottom row high enough for siphon action :) I would have definitely overlooked that.

Does anyone have any input on what type of pump I should use to power approximately 8 tanks with air driven filters? I'm guessing the cheapo 30-40 dollar ones from the LFS won't cut it?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Luft pump.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    I had an air drive pump attached to PVC pipes with airline tubes running to all individual sponge filters in my old set up. I am about to rebuild the same thing. I have a ceramic piston pump that ran my old room of 10's-300's good and now its going to run 6 75s and a group of 10's-29's.

I liked how jacko did his shrimp tank racks if your sole purpose is for fry. As far as aesthetics though, i like to keep same size all the way down so I would do a 40 40 40 then 3 20s on down, etc. easier to keep space correctly.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    seems like http://www.google.com/imgres?q=fish+...9,r:1,s:0,i:88 is what you are trying to do.,
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's