· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Best Cleaner for Oscar Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have an oscar in a 60 gal and was wondering if there is a fish out there who will absoutely help cleanup his food waste (and I do know that vacuuming and partial water changes are the best solution). I am having trouble with y nitrite level (I have an aquaclear filter) and have added some prime and removed the carbon for a few days --plus did a 1/4 water change. I have read that eclipse cats are good--also severums? I have 2 plecos in a separate tank and 7 cories in another----these are all about 1 to 1 1/2 inches shorter than my oscar buddy. Any advice? On something he won't kill that will actually help the tank. Thanks for any info--Shirley

0 Not allowed!
    It's one thing to look for an appropriate tank mate for your Oscar and quite another to look for a fish to clean up what you can do the best yourself - but you know this already : )
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    fish do not eat the waste of other fish. Fish eat food and make their own waste. If you are having water parameter issues now another fish, no matter what kind, will only make it worse.

What size aquaclear does the tank have? It may not be enough filtration. How often do you do water changes and how much do you take out when you do? You may need to increase those as well.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with brhino - what is the capacity of your filter? Oscars are messy fish and require filtration that is a minimum of double the size of your tank. Also, there is no need to put the carbon back into the filter - it is not needed unless you are removing meds from the water - better to add more biological media in it's place.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you could find a way to breed aquatic dung beetles, you would be a rich man!
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    side note: 75gallons is the min recommendation for 1 oscar.

they do get to 10+ inches and need that space to turn around and swim normally...

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oscars are fantastic fish to have and watch but they are dirty eaters and produce a tremendous amount of waste/poop The only way you will even come close to keeping your Oscars tank clean is with a Python type cleaner to clean your tank and frequent water changes. An Oscar tank can get out of control quickly and they are very prone to Hole in the Head which comes from bad water conditions.

The Python makes it easy it can be done with buckets but that gets old fast...
    30 gal Freshwater
    1 young Angel, 6 Pepper Corydoras, 5 Harlequin Rasbora 1 Bristle-nose Pleco

8. Smile Thanks for Advice

0 Not allowed!
    I have had a lot of aquariums but not recently and am new to the cycling concept. I am confused, though. The info on cycling says to leave the gravel alone, but then some of the advice says to vacuum it. I already have a python from the old days, so I guess I probably vacuumed and changed about 1/3 of the tank water. I didn't use the python to fill it though because it needs a little more rinsing first I think since it has been stored for many moons. There are so many new products out now. I have a 110 Aquaclear filter and it seems to be doing a good job. The only number out of balance is the nitrite. What do most of you use to dechlorinate, etc. your water? It is so strange but I have a Berkey filter and thought I was doing my fish a favor by using room temp filtered water (I did also add some chlorine remover just in case). Ended up losing 2 plecos, a clown loach, and a small algae eater. I got my test kit out and found that the ph was 8.3 - 8.5 or something. After testing all the spigots in the house I discovered the Berkey filtered water had the high ph! Didn't bother the oscar though. Then I tried lowering the ph and found out that oscars actually like a little higher ph. This Master Test kit by API is driving me nuts! Never had one before so now I am totally paranoid about everything. When I referred to cleaning up waste I just meant excess food particles, not actual fish poop! Anyhow, thanks for all your pointers!