· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Nitrite problems

0 Not allowed!
    I dirted my 20 gallon tall yesterday and today I tested my parameters, ammonia was 0 like normal but nitrite was 1 to 2. I am in the middle of a large water change to help correct it but I've all ready done a 50% change this afternoon. The tank has been cycled with 0 readings of ammonia and nitrite and low nitrate for a few weeks now with 7 blood fins.
    Looking closer I saw that the dirt I used has earthworm castings, bat guano, forest humus (what ever that is) and peat moss. Might any of these have caused the spike in nitrite? Its Fox Farm natural and organic potting soil. The only other thing I've done since stocking has been adding a few more plants. Might there be another cause or am I correct in thinking its the dirt and it needs to be removed?
    Last edited by Limming; 01-09-2013 at 03:53 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's probably the dirt, I wouldn't worry too much, but definitely keep up with the water changes as the dirt is probably leeching into to water column, once the dirt settles everything should fall back into place.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to know I don't have to replace the dirt lol that was going to be the next thing I do. I'll monitor it daily and do 50% changes until its settled, any idea how long it might take?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just checked the parameters after a couple of hours and the nitrites are still 1 or 2 ppm... I'm going to take a sample to the LFS tomorrow because I feel like I'm messing something up with the API master test kit. Not sure what but it just doesn't make sense that the nitrites are the same after a large water change. For clarification I do use prime and last I check my tap doesn't have any ammonia or nitrites.

0 Not allowed!
    sounds like all that organic material in the dirt is breaking down and causing your parameter problems. It will likely continue to break down for some time, at least that is what I have read

I would assume those test rests are correct and increase your water change amount until you can get your test results confirmed. Better safe than sorry

Did you any type of substrate on top of the dirt ?
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-09-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming
    Looking closer I saw that the dirt I used has earthworm castings, bat guano, forest humus (what ever that is) and peat moss. Might any of these have caused the spike in nitrite? Its Fox Farm natural and organic potting soil. The only other thing I've done since stocking has been adding a few more plants. Might there be another cause or am I correct in thinking its the dirt and it needs to be removed?
    Why didn't you use an aquarium safe plant substrate to begin with? Potting soil or mix could have anything in it, and apparently it does based on your description above. If this were my tank ( which it is not ) I'd remove the potting soil and use an aquarium safe plant substrate.

When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Good article on aquairum substrates:

http://www.aquariumslife.com/aquasca...nted-aquarium/

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was trying to go cheep and had read that potting soil works. I'm going to remove the soil and go with Eco-complete.

0 Not allowed!
    I can understand trying to be thrifty, but the substrate also has to be safe for plants and fish.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lesson learned lol I've got eco complete and working on removing the soil and adding the complete thanks for the help.