· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question minimum tank size for a female Betta

0 Not allowed!
    Hi today I got a new 1.5 gallon tank for a Betta
    Ever would you say is the minimum size. For a Betta
    And BTW does a Betta need a cycled tank

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Best recommended size is 5 gallons, and yes, a cycled tank with a filter is always the best option

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

0 Not allowed!
    May I add that bettas also need a heater - betta owners here always say they do well at 82 degrees.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I second both those...

Heater, filter, regular water changes, at least 5 gallons....yep.

If you put him in that little thing with no heater or filter, he will die in a matter of months, AT BEST. They can live 3-4 years on average when well maintained.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everyone above +10000.

btw-ALL aquatic animals need a cycled tank.

0 Not allowed!
    It is filtered and has a heater and the national Betta administration says 1 gallon minimum

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That doesn't really matter what they say.

It is a matter of room for the fish to swim about.

5gallons give the fish at least room to dart around, explore.

1gallon gives the fish room to float. that is all.

If you think that is fair for the beta to float, sit in a corner and not do anything. then you wouldn't mind living in a closet for your life either?

0 Not allowed!
    Betta's require at least five gallons. This is coming to you courtesy of Tiari, the Betta Junkie :).

The National Betta Administration, or what-have-you, as well as other organizations and pet suppliers, continue with this inhumane, and, frankly ridiculous 1 gallon rule of thumb. Why they insist on perpetuating this nonsense is beyond me, so all I can do is impart why the 1 gallon Betta myth, is well, a myth.

1 Gallon can not be safely heated to a constant 82 degrees. There is no heater on the market that can, and will hold that temperature, without wild swings, and likely cooking your fish. Since Betta require 82 degrees, a tank must be obtained that can safely handle a heater. 5 gallon minimum.

1 Gallon is not enough to safely disperse waste products and dissolved organics.

1 Gallon does not take into account the displacement of water by equipment, decorations and the fish itself.

1 Gallon is near impossible to cycle and remain at stable constants of water parameters

and lastly, Betta are native to the Rice Paddies of Thailand. These are not mud puddles, but vast acres of 2 to 3 foot deep water. 1 Gallon doesn't even come close to approximating the native habitat of these creatures.

Where this idea that Betta can be in bowls, or 1 gallon of water (even two gallons) is a little beyond me. You will be much happier, in the long run, not listening to that outdated and antiquated advice.

That said, you will hear around comments from online sources, such as "My Betta hated a large tank, I had to put him back in the bowl". There's a reason for this. A ten gallon tank with one stick string of a plant in a corner is way too much "open real estate" for a Betta. They like space AND thick plant cover, and also do not like open and bright overhead lighting.

No Betta ever turned up his nose to a spacious, heavily planted tank.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Alright I see your point I won't do it

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with all that Tiari is saying, though i do own my betta slayer and when i moved him to a 2.5 retangle tanks, he started nipping his tail. so now he is back in his 1.5, his 2.5 was almost planted were he had no room.. but 99% Tiari is correct