· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookiethe1
    Well, I found 2 strip 2 foot T5 NO lights local for 25 bucks a piece. I think it's the best and cheapest route for me. They are 28 Watts and 2700 lumens, I am thinking of putting 2 right against each other in the back middle section and one each at the ends over the raised beds. I'm no expert, but I think Watts per gallon is less relevant when you've got lights directly over your planted areas?
    I think I'm going to try it this way for the convenience of not having to build an LED system and the low cost and see how things progress. If I think I need it down the track I can always swap out the ballasts and put HOs in there.
    Yep.
    By the way, most - not all - T5NO fixtures, or more accurately the ballasts, can run T5HO lamps. Electronic ballasts effectively read the electrical characteristics of the lamp and output accordingly.
    You get flexibility in your purchases and the correct lamps on hand if you do swap ballasts. T5HO ballasts will also run T5NO lamps, at a bit over the rated capacity. Not over driven to HO output though.

If you need a source of inexpensive lamps, check out your local hydroponics store. They sell more T5HO daylight lamps in a week than most fish shops will in a year. They purchase in bulk and usually sell at good prices.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been keeping an eye on this thread and I didn't even notice it went over the page!
    Yeah, I checked out ballasts online and saw that most of them seemed to be fine with normal or high output, so I was prepared to check out the lights I found and see if that was the case for them. But then before I got there I found a place online selling 2 foot 2 bulb T5HOs with 6500K bulbs and reflectors for 40 bucks a piece, so I ordered 3 of those. Couldn't even buy the cheaper ones and stick 6500K bulbs in for that price.
    At one point I had track lights that I picked up on sale and had ordered 6500K LED MR16s for them, but the place I ordered the bulbs from emailed me and told me they were out of stock, and they were the only company I could find that seemed to have a happy medium between $30/bulb and $5/bulb for Chinese imports that seem to have a 50% failure rate.
    I hadn't thought to check hydro stores, not sure if we have any around here but I'll find out if I ever need bulbs or anything. Normally I look in hardware stores or online, everywhere but fish stores. The only one I have is a petsmart anyway.
    Well, it's been kind of a twisty turny road, but I feel confident about my grow lights, hope they get here soon! One day when I have more disposable money and time I'll try messing around with LEDs. Thanks again for your help!