· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Cichlid beginner

0 Not allowed!
    I want to start a african cichlid tank, because I have hard, alkaline tap water thats perfect for them. I have a 65 gallon tank, In need of a hood and lights, Any recommendations? Plus, What plants are ok for these tanks? My nitrates are high out the tap so plants keep them down. My other tanks are doing fine with high nitrates if they are planted.

I do want yellow labs, what other fish go well with these? and how many fish are normal for a 65 gallon tank? And what decor should be givin to these fish? I understand I can go look all this up, but real world answers help so much more.

0 Not allowed!
    not so sure on the other points, but make sure you crowd african cichlids
    because to keep aggression under control. many african cichlids are herbivores or they dig, making plant choices limited. I have heard that vallisneria works best, but you will have to protect its roots.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by unitednations161
    I do want yellow labs, what other fish go well with these? and how many fish are normal for a 65 gallon tank?
    Generally, aquariums that are 48" in length are considered the minimum for housing mbuna's. However the less aggressive species will probably work in a 36" tank such as the 65gal.

Yellow labs are compatible with pretty much all other mbuna species; in a 65gal you'll want to select species of similar temperament (rusty cichlids, pseudotropheus saulosi, etc). If you omit the saulosi's a single pseudotropheus demasoni can be substituted.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    Generally, aquariums that are 48" in length are considered the minimum for housing mbuna's. However the less aggressive species will probably work in a 36" tank such as the 65gal.

Yellow labs are compatible with pretty much all other mbuna species; in a 65gal you'll want to select species of similar temperament (rusty cichlids, pseudotropheus saulosi, etc). If you omit the saulosi's a single pseudotropheus demasoni can be substituted.

everyplace online told me that I could house Mbunas in 36" or bigger. So I need to overstock the tank I was told as well, so about how many fish is that?

0 Not allowed!
    In a 65gal tank you're probably looking at 8-16 mbuna's.

Mbuna's are a diverse group of african cichlids. A 36" tank may work for mildly-aggressive mbuna species, but the aggressive, extremely aggressive and hyper-dominant species require more tank length (I wouldn't advise including kenyi, auratus and other aggressive species in 3ft tank).
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    In a 65gal tank you're probably looking at 8-16 mbuna's.

Mbuna's are a diverse group of african cichlids. A 36" tank may work for mildly-aggressive mbuna species, but the aggressive, extremely aggressive and hyper-dominant species require more tank length (I wouldn't advise including kenyi, auratus and other aggressive species in 3ft tank).

I really have no idea what Mbunas are mildly aggressive or ones that aggressive, is there a list of these somewhere? That the common names are included. My fish store is limited on what fish they have.

0 Not allowed!
    For a beginner, I would suggest 4 Rusties, 4 Acies, and 4 Yellow Labs. Those three are the most easy going out of all the Mbuna. BUT, there can always be cranky ones in amongst the not so cranky ones! The theory of crowding Mbuna to keep aggression down should only be used as last resort, in my opinion. A tank that's stocked and set up properly, not overstocked, is the best way to go.

You need plenty of rocks to make up various caves/hiding places for these kinds of cichlids. Breaking up the so called line of sight is very important to limit aggression.

If you can, get 1 male and 3 females of each species of cichlid to limit aggression. If you can't, try and make arrangements with your LFS to take back any really aggressive fish once you have stocked your tank and they start showing that kind of behaviour.

Mbuna love plants. A lot of them will constantly tare them apart. If you really want plants, then Java Fern is a good one to put in with them. They don't really like the taste of it too much. It grows best when it's attached to rocks or driftwood, so that also makes it harder for the cichlids to destroy.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by unitednations161
    I really have no idea what Mbunas are mildly aggressive or ones that aggressive, is there a list of these somewhere? That the common names are included.
    At the bottom of the page here is a start...
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.