· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari
    Make sure, whatever one you get it has an adjustable thermostat control. A Betta should be kept at a -constant- 82 degrees F.

found a good deal on a 50 W with adjustable cotrol, would that be over kill, even if i set it at lowest temp? guy that has them, also has a few other fish products i want, so shippig would be free, he just doesnt have a 25w

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ordered an aqueon fifty wat heater for my species specific tank i can't get the hundred watt heater to stay where i want it. i want to finish cycling the rest of the bacteria on the tank at 79 degrees. when i get the fish i'll keep it at 76 degrees to prevent breeding.

the only good thing about the heater i got right now on the fishless cycle 10 gallon is that it's slotted itself at 84 degrees. but that's not where i want it to stay in the long run.
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    also yes i think it would be overkll. you'd need to set it at half the temperture you want it at.
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari
    also yes i think it would be overkll. you'd need to set it at half the temperture you want it at.

dang it ok..

0 Not allowed!
    I actually have a 50w in my 6 gallon Fluval edge. You have to gauge the temperature very carefully using a very good thermometer in the tank, and adjusting slowly. My Heater is set at 76, yet keeps the tank at 82. I use a Marina digital thermometer to track the most accurate temperature.

I found the 25w had to work much too hard to maintain 82, and was on constantly.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats what i was wondering, it would stay on alot!, i have tons of digintal temp gauges aswell... looks like the bettas are turning into 100 fish, lol

0 Not allowed!
    Just like Tiari mentioned, I would rather set a heater at a lower temp so it's off most of the time than have a heater struggle to maintain a temp - it could burn out too fast that way.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    picked up 2 colbalt 50W, they have great fish food, so i decided to give there heaters a try