· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Light Requirements for plants

0 Not allowed!
    At Lady Hobb's request, here are 10 commonly available plant species based on light levels. All light should be full spectrum, as remember, you're simulating sunlight.

HIGH LIGHT (4+ watts per gallon)

Alternathia reineckii
    Ammania gracilus
    Cabomba sp.
    (all species)
    Glossostigma elatinoides
    Elocharis sp.
    (Hairgrass)
    Didiplis diandra
    Myrophyllum
    (all species)
    Rotala macranda and wallichii
    Limnophila sp.
    (all species)
    Nymphaea and Nymphoides (water lilies, lotus)

MEDIUM LIGHT (2-3 wpg)

Aponogeton sp. (all species)
    Bacopa caroliniana
    Bacopa monnieri
    Barclaya longifolia
    Crinum natans
    (both forms)
    C. thaianum
    Cryptocoryne balansae
    C. beckettii

also
    C. cilata, undulata, wendtii, willisii
    Echinodorus sp.
    (all species)

LOW LIGHT(1 to 2 wpg)

Anubis sp. (both common sp.)
    Ceratopyllum demersen
    Vallisneria sp.
    (all species)
    Egeria densa
    Vesicula dubyana
    Fontinalis antipyretica
    Microsorium pteropus
    Cryptocoryne affinis
    C. lutea
    C. walkerii
    Lemna minor

There are several plants that are what I call 'tweeners', that is, they can be kept in low to high light. Riccia fluitans is an example. Floating, it can thrive in low to medium light, but can be secured to rocks, driftwood only in bright light. The Sagittaria clan will grow in any light, low to high. All the floating plants do well in nearly any light, especially the last low light plant; duckweed :) Also, the Hygrophilas are usually happy from medium to high.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave66; 10-07-2007 at 08:51 AM.
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice. Thank you!

Maybe we can keep this list and add others to it like Java Moss and Java Fern and others that come to mind? They may already be there but I am not recognizing them by the proper name.

I just got a anubus coffeefolia. (Does anubus have to be attached to wood?)

Thank you sweet thang!
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-07-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark Whee! - Nick_Pavlovski Drink up! - Drumachine09 For keeping TOF alive! - Drumachine09 For Being A Great Friend - MeganL3985 
    good job - Lady Hobbs I am baking today and figured I'd share...thanks for helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** A thank you for adding me to your buddy list :) - *Sarah* for the inspiration, and the friend add :) - calla a cigar for you - Dave66 
    good quiz answer - Dave66 Thanks for being a friend! Cheers! - SkarloeysMom I think you need a book!! (It's a book about fish of course!) - 2manyfish i noticed i havent given you a gift yet! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 
    Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12 Happy Birthday Friend! - SkarloeysMom Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish Merry Christmas! - digital3 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - tropfish AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - tropfish Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - tropfish HIV/AIDS - tropfish Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - tropfish 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - tropfish 

0 Not allowed!
    thanks! I want to add some plants to my 29g and this is just hwat i needed. We should sticky it.
    55g: 1 Severum, 1 Raphael Catfish, 1 Syno Catfish

5g: adopted goldfish..

2.5g: crowntail betta

0 Not allowed!
    It is stickied. Takes a few minutes tho.

Hey, I finally found that plant I've been trying to get the name of.

Why is this listed as a tank plant? It is not a tank plant when you read about it.

LA PicSanderianas grow very slowly in tanks.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-07-2007 at 09:45 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Where does ludwegia repens fit into that list?

Thanks!

Rue
    20g planted:
    2 honey gouramis
    1 sparkling gourami
    2 zebra danios
    2 kuhli loaches
    too many snails!

10g planted:
    2 chinese fire belly newts

5g bucket:
    about 40 zebra danio fry!!!

"Sometimes you search the world for happiness and cannot find it, othertimes it surprises you." ~~ A. S. Butler

"One child is often not enough, but two children are often too many." ~~Anon.

0 Not allowed!
    Very Nice Dave.....

0 Not allowed!
    Dave, I have a question. Are the WPG indications of what is required or is it a minimum level? In other words, if 4 WPG is provided to a low light plant will the light cause detriment to the plant?
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Very nice. Thank you!

Maybe we can keep this list and add others to it like Java Moss and Java Fern and others that come to mind? They may already be there but I am not recognizing them by the proper name.

I just got a anubus coffeefolia. (Does anubus have to be attached to wood?)

Thank you sweet thang!
    You're welcome, Hobbsy :)

Java fern and moss are already listed in the low light category; M. pteropus and V. dubyana respectively.

Your coffefolia is just a man made cultivar of Java fern. It doesn't HAVE to be planted on driftwood, but it should be. To my experience they grow better on wood rather than on stones or gravel.

Dave

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gm72
    Dave, I have a question. Are the WPG indications of what is required or is it a minimum level? In other words, if 4 WPG is provided to a low light plant will the light cause detriment to the plant?
    Depends on the plant, gm. E. tennelus grows beautifully in 1.5 or 2 watts per gallon. It grows spectacularly in 4 wpg, and the upper leaves turn reddish in that light. Conversly, most of the Crypts will slow down and stop growing in really bright light.

Dave

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the clarification.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.