· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Hypothetical Question

0 Not allowed!
    Listening to a podcast a listener asked a hypothetical question.

"If a home aquarium is large enough, bioload low enough, and filtering is strong enough, would it be possible to operate a aquarium without completing water changes?"

Put your thinking caps on - What would your answer be without having any further info?
    If there's any remote possibility this could work, how would you imagine the system would be setup?

I'm sure many of you are thinking it, "how could I have a self sustaining system"?
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    No. Evaporation would cause dissolved substances to continuously build up over time until their levels became toxic to fish. Hardness would increase, ph would change, the tank would eventually crash.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher
    No. Evaporation would cause dissolved substances to continuously build up over time until their levels became toxic to fish. Hardness would increase, ph would change, the tank would eventually crash.
    Ok, add the caveat that water top offs will be made with RO water.
    Next...

0 Not allowed!
    There would still be fish hormones etc... building up in the water, not to mention depletion of electrolytes.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All the minerals and trace elements would also deplete - it would eventually become distilled water

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    And nitrifying bacteria cannot live or reproduce in distilled water.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    I have read some are successful doing almost no water changes. Some go as long as a year or more, but eventually they end up doing a water change!!

0 Not allowed!
    With the walstad method you can get pretty close to a system where you have to do very occasional partial water changes and mostly just topping up.
    http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad_method

It's just not very popular because it allows for much lower stocking densities than most of us prefer.

Diana's shrimp bowl is a great little experiment. All it requires is a small tank or fish bowl, a small air pump and stone for some water movement and some plants.
    http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    even with a low bioload, nitrate doesn't break down on it's own. it needs to be removed via water changes. or you'd need alot of live plants to do this.

as stated above, valuable electrolytes, minerals, etc need to be replenished.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    With the walstad method you can get pretty close to a system where you have to do very occasional partial water changes and mostly just topping up.
    http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad_method

It's just not very popular because it allows for much lower stocking densities than most of us prefer.
    I have a problem with the write-up of the article that is linked to above. Adding Prime or Amquel + to the aquarium water does not remove ammonia. That will temporarily turn ammonia into ammonium depending on pH. Neither remove ammonia from the tank water.

Even if there are enough plants in the tank to use up free ammonia or ammonium, water changes will still have to be done or the tank will develop "old tank syndrome." Minerals and\or electrolytes will be depleted, pH will vary greatly and the tank will crash.

Do yourself and your fish a favor by keeping up with regular water changes.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"