· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How much is too much...mollies, platies, neons & corys??

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, while this is my first forum post, I've been reading for a little while now and found a lot of great advice, so thanks! I set up a 20-gallon tank in the past month and it appears to be just about done cycling. The tank is decorated with both artificial and live plants and has a Marineland 150 Biowheel filter. I'm very good about doing regular water changes and I'm trying taking it slow in terms of adding new fish.

Right now I have 3 Dalmatian Mollies (1 male, 2 female) and 3 Red Mickey Mouse Platies (1 male, 2 female). I tried a Red Dwarf Gourami but he was just too aggressive and not a good neighbor with his tank mates so I had to take him back. He was easily my favorite fish and so beautiful, so I hated to do it, but I'd rather have a happy tank.

My questions are this: can I add the following fish to the tank without overcrowding it, and will these fish be a good mix with my livebearers?

-Neon tetras (someone suggested a school of 4-6?)
    -Cory cats (3-4).

I'm pretty sure that all of those fish will live happily together, but I'm concerned that it may be too much, even with regular water changes. I am familiar with the "inch per gallon" rule of thumb. I wouldn't call myself a complete beginner, as I grew up with fish tanks and last had one about 7 years ago, but it's been a while so I'm probably a beginner compared to most folks here.

Thanks in advance!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't add those fish until you are done cycling. They can both be sensitive in their own ways.

Always add cories last, and aim for the smallest variety you can find. If you have pygmies, 6 would be fine.

However, what is your plan for all the masses and masses of babies you are going to have? If you have no plan, get no more fish. You will be overrun shortly.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your insight! I'll be sure and wait until the tank is done cycling before doing anything else. As for the babies--one Mollie already had a host of fry. They were either eaten or swam down into the rocks to hide where they died and had to be sucked out. I don't have any particular desire to raise lots of Mollies and Platies, but you have a good point so I'll have to think about what to do with my Molly and Platy harems. Thanks again!

0 Not allowed!
    I would avoid the neons because they will simply hide all the time with those larger fish in the tank. Smaller corys would work.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Lady Hobbs for your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurescriber
    However, what is your plan for all the masses and masses of babies you are going to have? If you have no plan, get no more fish. You will be overrun shortly.
    And I should have asked...what would you suggest as a plan for someone who doesn't want masses of babies? (realizing of course that I'm stuck, for the moment, with males and females).

Thanks!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Off the top of my head, I see three options.

1. Try to see if your local pet store will buy them (unlikely but worth a shot).

2. See if anyone you know needs feeder fish.

3. Buy a small predatory fish..I would suggest a gourami but I see that didn't work out.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!