· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Goal for 2013

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

Default Goal for 2013

0 Not allowed!
    Hopefully the Mayans are wrong and the world wont end this month because my goal for 2013 is to start up a salt water tank again. I ran one back in the late '80 which came to a sudden end one day for a reason I never figured out.
    I cant get over how much less the fish cost now. But the rest of the equipment is still expensive.
    I'll be starting with the tank (and sump so it would seem), filtration system, lighting, heating, testing, substrate, and who knows what else after all the threads I have just finished reading.
    Skimmer?? Something that sounds beneficial which I didn't even hear about back then. Power heads make sense to move the water.
    I'll be lurking this section and maybe asking for some clarification. Now you are forewarned. My goal for 2013 is to set up a nice healthy stable S/W tank.

Thanks in advance for the answers to my newbie question.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    what size tank ya thinkin'?

0 Not allowed!
    Some useful info in the below link as well. Take your time and figure out exactly what you want. This is one of the fun parts of getting a new set-up.

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Very informative link Cliff, thanks. I only just skimmed it for now but it has been saved to my favorites.

As far as tank size goes sheamurai, it's getting near that time of year when local lfs start lowering their price on some set-ups. A 70 gallon tank is around the size I am contemplating.
    My last salt water set-up was in a 35 gallon long type tank which I really enjoyed.
    The one thing I have acquired over time since then is patients. I will take it one step at a time. Research up front is priceless in the long run with equipment and stock.

0 Not allowed!
    Have you thought about what type of set-up you want, reef, fowler.........
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I think I'll start out going the way of a fowler (fish only with live rock), but I do so love invertebrates and corals which I had in my previous set-up. My sea horse was my favourite. The fire scallops made the tank "pop" when they filtered.
    The nostalgia is great. But I want to make this one last.

I'm still reading up on the equipment out there now a day so I'll try and get the initial set-up versatile enough to go either way. The lighting may be tricky but I have yet to check that out yet.
    Protein skimmers are something new to me which after reading some about their function actually make alot of sense. When did these become popular?

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with your project, maybe start a journal so we can follow your progress. I wish I had the time to start one. Like you I had one in the eighties than the kids started coming and I got a job promotion with more responsibilitys, but this thread is not about me LOL.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199
    The lighting may be tricky but I have yet to check that out yet.
    Protein skimmers are something new to me which after reading some about their function actually make alot of sense. When did these become popular?
    The lighting is easier than you may think. If you get a standard 48" long 70 gallon tank, then I would suggest a 4 bulb T5HO fixture, but only use actinic and blue bulbs with one Fiji purple. Less usable light for nasty algae and the correct light tones to make the colors on your fish "pop".

When you want to add corals or maybe an anemone, you would just need to change one or two of the bulbs. That option might be the best for your plans

I think skimmers have been around for well over 30 years. But I think it's only been in the last 10 years (or maybe more) they have been cheap enough to become very popular and obtainable for the average person

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Really appreciate the info on the lighting Cliff, thanks. I spent awhile on your link last night and you have really out done yourself. There is more information, suggestions on that site then one can ingest in a few hours. Well done.