· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Improving HOB filters

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Aqua-tech 30-60 Filter and a Whisper 60 Filter. Both use the carbon cartridges, the whisper can actually use any media, but right now I have carbon in it :(

In the aqua-tech I have two media bags with bio-max in them

Just wondering if anyone had successfully been able to improve the function of these filters. I want to save up for a canister eventually, but for now this is what I got
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Look into the aquaclear line of filters. They're hang-on-backs like the ones you have, not too expensive, and they're much, much better. More flexible, easier to maintain, etc.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Brhino about the aquaclears, mine is pretty great!

I am not familiar with your particular filters, but generally I would say to improve a HOB, you want to remove carbon, and replace any cartridges with free-flowing or bagged biomedia or filter sponge. A pre-filter (a sponge filter sponge) over the intake will also greatly improve the available surface for the good bacteria and will protect your fish from getting sucked up into the filter, although you will need to give the sponge a good squeezing weekly to keep the flow from slowing down too much.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85
    I have a Aqua-tech 30-60 Filter and a Whisper 60 Filter. ... I want to save up for a canister eventually, but for now this is what I got
    Since that's what you have, optimizing them is the grail.
    Both use cartridges that can be dismantled, and have standard filter pad material or polyester quilt batting wrapped around the frames. Of course, you'd always include some of the old filter material in the sandwich, to help transfer the beneficial bacteria to the new material.

If you don't mind spending a little, for an easier refill, check out these frames.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=11352

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ^I use those in a bunch of filters and they work great. One of my local shops even carries the frames. It also makes it easy to add carbon when you need it because you can have some of the refills hanging out and ready to go.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Stop wasting your money on activated charcoal (carbon.) Except for removing Meds or a few other very specific reasons (like removing a known complex organic from the tap water that charcoal is known to absorb), this substance does zero for the aquarium fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, I've seen the aquaclears, but figured if I'm gonna buy one of those why not save for a canister ;)

The aqua-tech is a walmart Hob filter, once my cycle has been stable for a bit I want to go in and cut out the carbon, out the the aqua-tech pads (they are built it, which sucks)

The whisper is nice, you just pour the carbon in, but I'm going to use bio-max instead, figure that will last a lot longer.

I currently and using pantihose over the filter intakes, the aquatech filter has a pyramid shaped intake, so most pre-filters didn't fit over it. The pantihose were cheap and seem to be doing a great job
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can take an older cartridge, cut out all the filter media and attach a 1/4" thick piece of sponge media to the frame and reinsert it. This turns your HOB into a high-powered sponge filter. All you have to do afterwards is the usual rinsing out in tank water. I use small pieces of SS wire to attach the sponge with.

0 Not allowed!
    I do as Dave does but I gut my filters out and add a foam block and biomax. You'd have to remove only one cartridge for now and add foam to that area and once that's seeded, add more foam to the area where the second cartridge is so all your bacteria is not gone at once. I use this foam.

You can wet it, freeze it and cut it easier with an electric knife to size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    So you gut the frame, and wrap it (or only 1 side) with the foam...

Not too bad, may have to give that a try, yea I have the bio-max already. In awhile I'll give it a try, any pics to work with?
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread