· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For all of the nano-reef help. Thanks - cocoa_pleco   Welcome to the SW club! - Drumachine09   Thanks barb! - Drumachine09   Thank You! - Lady Hobbs   i joined the oscar club! got any tips? lol - cocoa_pleco   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - 2manyfish   Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - 2manyfish   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - 2manyfish   

0 Not allowed!
    There was a guy in England who built a 2000g pond in his living room for his red tailed catfish....gorgeous fish BTW. Sad to say that the fish was outgrowing the pond...but the owner adored him and said a new bigger pond was in the works!!

And Mike - don't assume that once your catfish gets too big for you to care for that public aquariums will take the fish. They get offered tank busting fish like that all the time and rarely take any.
    Freshwater since 1998, saltwater since 2000.
    6 FW tanks, 1 SW tank.

(aka Barb)

This looks just like my BP -->

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    I think a "large" catfish you could own is in a maybe 75 gallon tank. A 28 gallon tank is nice for an upside down catfish like mentioned before. There is another option(s) you could either go with, with the silvertip( i think its called but i think its a shark) reaches 12 inches, or the pictus catfish (which need more than 2-3 to have a school, and they are very very active.) When they get older and reach mature size of 8 inches the pictus cat can be kept alone, actually they have to be kept alone, they're very teritorial. (a reminder, these particular fish need more than a 28 gallon tank, so a 75 would be ideal) Red tail catfish are just not a reasonable fish to keep. You could probably buy a car or truck with all the money you're going to have to put into a tank that large. So, saving money for a nice tank that can accomodate one of the previous fish i have mentioned before, you'll be happier in the long run, Just my opinion. Also, Ive heard the red tail cats can reach 6 -7ft within a matter of 2-3 years. So i would stay away from the red tail catfish. And to answer your question minimum tank size, i wouldnt even buy a tank or make a tank, id make a pond for it, a very LARGE pond.
    Last edited by AquaKid329; 10-05-2007 at 10:23 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - kid_fishboy13   

0 Not allowed!
    once i saw one in a resturant pond. it was 5ft long and lived in 20000gal indoors. i thought it was great as an attraction. half the people who came just ordered something to see the red tailed monster of a fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   Whee! - Nick_Pavlovski   Drink up! - Drumachine09   For keeping TOF alive! - Drumachine09   For Being A Great Friend - MeganL3985   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - tropfish   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - tropfish   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - tropfish   HIV/AIDS - tropfish   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - tropfish   

0 Not allowed!
    I would love to have one too, if they could somehow breed them for dwarf red tails everyone would want one.
    55g: 1 Severum, 1 Raphael Catfish, 1 Syno Catfish

5g: adopted goldfish..

2.5g: crowntail betta

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    they really are lovely looking fish but after seeing them at the london aqaurium recently i am totally against them being for sale in fish stores. there must only be a handful of people out there with room to house them yet they sell like hot cakes... tut tut.
    Cichlids are soooooooo confusing.......

My tanks:
    40 g tropical African themed tank
    2 reed fish (mathias & luna-c), pair of kribs(rob&becky), 8 congo tetras, 2 butterflys, 1 syno (dave)

10 g coldwater
    'Bonzer' the goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    It is unfortunate that they sell them in most pet stores. That was kind of how I got into large catfish......adn learned to do my research before buying new fish.

In my ignorance I listened to the guy at the pet LFS before doing my research. He assured me that the Tiger Shovelnose I was buying would only grow to 12" and wouldn't bother any other fish. In my ignorance, I figured he would be fine in my 50G

The first month the little guy (I got him at about 2") was in my tank, he ate his way through every fish in the tank (about 25 tetras, guppies, shrimp, dwarf frogs, etc.) and grew about another 2".

So, flash forward 2 and a half years and he is now in a 250G and about 28" long. Luckily, and I mean kuckily, I have found someone with a 1500G who can take him in.

I think this is how many people get into the big fish game. By being ignorant and assuming the LFS is not going to try to swindle you. Hopefully someone reads this before they go to Big Al's or Wal Mart or any LFS and thinks about buying that cute little guy with the whiskars.

Newt

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for the rep - mommy1   You need some of these. - mommy1   One more for your AC tank. - mommy1   You are an amazing young man!  Keep up the good work. - mommy1   Bravo! - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    1000 gallones

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    You might want to check the date on older threads before replying. This one is over 6 years old
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]