· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Do I need to feed my Bamboo Shrimp? He's picking through the gravel...

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 guppies in it, and a few months ago I added a bamboo shrimp. I'll admit I didn't do the homework I should have before adding the shrimp... I just saw him at PetCo, he was really cool, and the PetCo guy told me he's basically maintenance free, so I got him. I figured I could use a scavenger, as the only other one in the tank was a moon snail (who's since died, but he had a good run for a snail).

Well, I always assumed the shrimp was doing well... he's skittish, but I often see him out of his hidey holes, picking food off the substrate. This seemed normal shrimpy behavior.

Then he molted, and realizing I didn't know anything about these animals or how normal that was, I started reading up. Of course now I've learned they're filter feeders, and I've read online that if you see your shrimp actively combing the bottom for food, he's probably starving.

Well geez, the poor guy, I'd be glad to feed him... but what? How? I really figured, between left over fish food and algae, there'd be enough to eat. Since I read molting can be difficult on these creatures, and he came through it just fine, I assume he's fairly healthy. Water quality should be good - I do frequent changes and tests and the guppies have been in there for around 6 months with no problems.

I am running 2 filters, just because I have an extra and figured "why not"? Is it possible I'm over-filtering the water and not leaving anything for him? I really doubt it since whenever I do a water change there ends up being plenty of specks floating around until things settle again... so it's not like there's no detritus in the tank.

So I can't figure out why he might be starving. Or maybe he's not and does filter feed sometimes when I don't see him, and he's just a glutton and likes picking the bottom too? I'd love to hear any thoughts from you folks that have experience with these guys.

Thanks,
    Joe

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Never had one [Not available locally and haven't ordered one] but I have looked into them. It definitely sounds like he is not eating what he would prefer.

From what I recall daphnia, rotifers, powdered spirulina & PhytoPlan [From Two Little Fishes] all fit the bill for your shrimp.

It's a start and I hope it helps.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply. All good ideas, and I'll definitely pick up one of those.

Coincidentally, right after I wrote that first post, I walked by the tank, and there was the shrimp, perched halfway out the hole of his cave, happily filtering away. He's spent the majority of each day since doing that, so maybe it took him a few months to figure it out lol. I'll still add a supplement for him though.

0 Not allowed!
    Some people have succes with fry food, the liquid kind. You could also look into starting an infusoria culture that's going to be a lot cheaper in the long run if you get the hang of it.

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I was going to suggest perhaps there wasn't enough current for him - but with two filters that likely isn't a problem. I'm was also thinking that a ten gallon tank might not be enough water capacity to naturally hold the amount of suspended particles he needs. I had a few of these in a 75 gal cichlid (therefor messy) tank and I almost never saw them combing the substrate, tho I did see that a couple times over the year I had that tank. They do get pretty big tho, if he's moulting he's growing, which to me means he's likely not starving.
    A little bit of supplementing and he should be ok. You might want to move his cave to where there is more current in order to facilitate his feeding...?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From what I've heard they need about 30 gallons per shrimp. Also for emergency feedings, you can grind up some flake food really fine, or algae wafers, mix it with water, suck it up in a dropper or syringe and shoot it directly at the shrimp.