· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

Default My pretty pair! :D

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all!

I haven't shared any pictures of my new GBR pair. They seem to be doing really well, which I'm thrilled about! The last time I tried to keep GBR they didn't do well at all.

I've had them now for about a month. They have been active and hungry since day one, which made me happy. They don't hide much and get along well enough with my pleco that he actually allows them into his domain (which he never usually does, he's pretty territorial.)

They had stress bars until recently, when I added a school of 13 Harlequin Rasbora, and put in a new heater. The stress bars faded considerably on both of them. The female almost has no stripe at all, you can barely see it... and the male's are much lighter, but still visible. It worries me a little, but I want to ask your opinions.

Should I be worried? I'm not sure what it could be if the fish actually is stressed out. He doesn't seem stressed at all, and my parameters are perfect. (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less than 5 nitrate) My pH is admittedly high for them (7.4 I believe... the test was a little iffy), but they were very slowly acclimated.

I keep the tank at 81 degrees, and to a 30-40% water change every weekend.

Edit: PS sorry for the crappy quality, I took this picture with my phone LOL
    Last edited by Lolita; 11-28-2012 at 02:23 AM.
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

6.6 Fluval Chi: planted. stock: 1 male halfmoon betta
    Journal

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good to me. Nice little chiclids kept 2 for a few years awile back.

7.4 is not that high so your okay there, I remember they took a little time to settle in.
    Last edited by steeler58; 11-28-2012 at 04:53 AM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They look great! Their color just pops out.

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Yaay, thanks guys! I wasn't sure if I should be worried about the slight stripes or if they were fine. :D I feel much better now!
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice Rams. I recently got 2 for my 30. My first experience with them. Have had them for 6 days now. So far so good. eating well. sociable and trying to run the tank of tetras LOL

Can I ask about stress bars? I had not heard that phrase. Are you talking about the black stripes or the paler gray ones? I thought they were simply a part of their normal coloration. Any info you'd care to share I'd appreciate. Thanks

And again, very nice pair.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Nice Rams. I recently got 2 for my 30. My first experience with them. Have had them for 6 days now. So far so good. eating well. sociable and trying to run the tank of tetras LOL

Can I ask about stress bars? I had not heard that phrase. Are you talking about the black stripes or the paler gray ones? I thought they were simply a part of their normal coloration. Any info you'd care to share I'd appreciate. Thanks

And again, very nice pair.
    Thanks! :D And good luck with your pair!

From what I know stress bars are the dark, vertical stripes that occur on fish when they are stressed. I think on GBR the pale stripes are part of their coloration on many of them, but they get very dark when they are stressed. My fish's bars were dark when I first added them, and have progressively faded away since I added them.

It looked more like this when I first got him:

And now, as you can see, the stripes are much paler. :)

This is what I was hoping to see:
    Journal

Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=Lolita]Thanks! :D And good luck with your pair!

From what I know stress bars are the dark, vertical stripes that occur on fish when they are stressed. I think on GBR the pale stripes are part of their coloration on many of them, but they get very dark when they are stressed. My fish's bars were dark when I first added them, and have progressively faded away since I added them.

It looked more like this when I first got him:

And now, as you can see, the stripes are much paler. :)

This is what I was hoping to see:

I think I must be blind. LOL I'm seeing dark vertical bars on all the fish in all of these photos. So I'm not discerning any difference.
    On my 2 - one of them has a dark black stripe going up the front of its dorsal fin and a dark spot in the middle of its body. The other has no black on it at all. I'll try to snap some photos tonight if they'll pose for me.
    I find this all so interesting. My Colombian tetras lose all color when they're stressed (like at tank cleaning time), yet these little guys add color. Just when you think you've got a handle ... the handle comes lose LOL
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    lol! The two first dark black bars are supposed to be there. It's the lightest part of their body I guess which shouldn't have them.
    Journal

Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolita
    lol! The two first dark black bars are supposed to be there. It's the lightest part of their body I guess which shouldn't have them.
    Ah. Got it. Thanks. I haven't seen any dark bars on the back 1/2 of the body on either of them. Actually - as I said - one of them has no black at all. Not sure if that means it's inferior, as in style, or if it just happens to be this particular fish's coloring. It's beautiful - tons of other color - but literally, no black.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Ah. Got it. Thanks. I haven't seen any dark bars on the back 1/2 of the body on either of them. Actually - as I said - one of them has no black at all. Not sure if that means it's inferior, as in style, or if it just happens to be this particular fish's coloring. It's beautiful - tons of other color - but literally, no black.
    :O I'd love to see pictures!
    Journal

Journal