· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Why not build a full sized algae scrubber? It will work far better than any bio-action slump. Unlike a sump, algae consume nitrates, phosphates and other organic based wastes returning almost pure water.

I have an in tank unit but that is because I do not want to deal with a slump system. Can't imagine a better bio-filtering system (of course, it really is the bases for any closed systems, too.)
    Last edited by Cermet; 12-30-2012 at 12:23 PM.

2. Question algae scrubber (pics of sump)

0 Not allowed!
    I could put an algae scrubber in the end compartment but would that not starve my bio rings of ammonia/nitrite and therefore I would be totally reliant on the algae ? What happens when I scrape off the algae ? does that mean I lose my BB and get an ammonia spike ?
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

0 Not allowed!
    Assuming a FW algae srubber and marin algae works the same way, the bacteria will outcompete the algae for the ammonia and nitrites leaving the algae the nitrates and phosphates.

As the algae grows, it consumes the nitrates and phosphates which are removed when you scrap the scrubber clean starting the cycle all over again.

At least, this is all based on what I have read about FW scrubbers. I have only used a scrubber on a marine set-up as I find it a lot easier and more cost effective just to complete water changes on my fresh water tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cliff that cleared it up

If I have an algae scrubber wouldn't I still need to do water changes to provide minerals for the fish ?
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by scotchbonneteater
    Thanks Cliff that cleared it up

If I have an algae scrubber wouldn't I still need to do water changes to provide minerals for the fish ?
    Yes, IMO you will still need to complete weekly water changes for those reasons as well as helping to manage the other things in the water we never test for, like hormons
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Wink

0 Not allowed!
    So the only real gain is low nitrates and phosphates ? My nitrates don't climb above 5ppm for 3 weeks after a WC but I do keep getting diatoms, I think I'll have a little play with some gauze and see what happens

0 Not allowed!
    Diatoms need silicates to grow, which is likely in your water supply if you continue to get it (I get that from time to time as well).

Try using some chemi pure elite in your filter. It might remove enough of the silicates to reduce your diatoms.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Silicates? does that come from silicone sealant? I used fish safe silicone to put the dividers into the sump and let it cure for a week. Hopefully after a few more water changes it will be back to normal otherwise I will have to go down the chemical route.

0 Not allowed!
    NO, silicates is a mineral compound containing iron that can be found in water supplies. It is safe and has nothing to do with your silicone.

Give it a quick google and you will see what I mean

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Algae scrubbers can reduce the number or amount of water changes but not do away with them. Phosphates are always high in aquariums so an algae scrubber removes those and only large water changes done often can offer a similar performance.

Relative to nitrates these are low in your tank, so not a big deal; but mine remain below 1 ppm and my tank has a lot of fish that leave a lot of waste - rather surprised my tiny units works so well.

Algae scrubbers will remove/process other organics that bacteria only partly break down - like hormones or fish slime (yet, so do large water changes) - so, I do feel they offer other avantages. Still, the best action is near 100% water changes done daily but that, for most of us, is way too much effort. Weekly large water changes can be dangerous if the tank pH is changed by doing only weekly changes (depends on your water being soft or hard.)

The issue is does such a unit buy you anything? The scrubber needs the algae removed once a week and if your water changes can handle it, maybe not worth the trouble. Still, since you will have the slump system, might be worth the effort.
    Last edited by Cermet; 12-30-2012 at 08:23 PM.