· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Undergravel filters: shall we beat the dead horse again?

0 Not allowed!
    I've been looking into getting an undergravel filter for my 45 gal, but I've heard they aren't always too great? I've read into it, but I want to beat this dead horse yet again just for good measure.
    So... What are the pros and cons of undergravel filters? Do you like them, or not - and why?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dead horse for sure, from everything I read not sure why they are even sold. I threw all of my old ones out.

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Unless ran in reverse, very old technology, it does work how it's suggested. Good water circulation etc. However you are creating a nitrate trap in what ever substrate you use stuff gets caught and causes issues. I think they are moderately good and has it's place for it's price and only if used on a basic tank with hardy fish. It trying to keep something even slightly difficult I wouldn't bother, there is no much technology and fish keeping has come so far from there, and there are so many other more useful price appropriate filters. Just my opinion.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, but can't you still siphon out the caught waste? Can it really do more harm than good?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Again I suggest you throw it away. In the long run of your tank who really wants to put it in and then have to redo your plants, fake or not. Read up on better options is my suggestion so you aren't disappointed later. i am still learning things the hard way and I believe this isn't one you want to learn from.

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What other kinds of options are there?
    Are you referring to other types of filters? I'm looking at UGFs just as a way to improve the bio filtration.
    Last edited by KingOfTheFeeshes; 02-23-2013 at 07:40 AM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it can do more harm than good, cleaning the gravel to 100% when using an undergravel is next to impossible. Any plants or decor will prevent you from cleaning the gravel under them but stuff will still build up there. Also ensuring full depth cleaning is difficult. I had one on my first tank i religiously took all decor and plants out bi-weekly and cleaned the gravel to the best of my ability. Taking 50% of the water with me, with 50% water changes every week without the gravel vac. I was changing 50% of the water weekly and could never get nitrates under 30ppm. Also when i finally removed the UGF and changed the substrate it was putrid despite bi-weekly cleans.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wait, so it was still filthy after removing the UGF...?

But, okay. You won - I again realize I don't need such a thing.
    However, what's your opinion on sponge filters?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The gravel was disgusting when i removed it, never been bad since. Yeh sponges are better again it depends on what you are planning on keeping in the tank, bioload etc but sponges definitely work, internals better again, canisters are the best readily available filter IMO.

journal @

0 Not allowed!
    There's tons of alternatives for an UGF. Generally they're fine for a year or two but then you're basically looking at a rebuild because of the gunk building up. Also they don't mix well with plants.

If you want a gentle filtration boost, a mattenfilter in the corner or a top mounted wet/dry are other options