· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Reseeding question

0 Not allowed!
    OK my friends, It has been about a month since I added a new Rena XP3 canister to my aquarium. It has been running along side my Aqueon 55 HOB. When will I know that the new media in the Rena is seeded? I am due to change filters in the Hob but don't want to lose the bb in the process.

Has it been long enough?
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    If you seeded the canister a month ago, you should be fine. Make sure you use tank water to clean your filter media. Don't use tap water.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think anybody knows for sure how long it takes exactly to seed a new filter... it's one of those questions like "how long with BB survive without an ammonia source". I've usually heard 2-4 weeks recommended, so you should probably be good to go. Wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on your parameters for a few days though.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    +1 I've always kept a new filter running on an established tank up to 6 weeks - but as Brhino stated, you could also just monitor for signs of ammonia too.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just to clarify~

When I added the Rena, I just added the bio-star media into the trays. I did NOT add any physical media from the old filter into the Rena. It has just been running along side the HOB.

I need to remove the bio-chem zorb from Rena to replace it. I don't think the sponges will need washing yet. I did order a new AC70 to replace the aqueon 55. I may wait till I get that before changing anything.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrramsey
    OK my friends, It has been about a month since I added a new Rena XP3 canister to my aquarium. It has been running along side my Aqueon 55 HOB. When will I know that the new media in the Rena is seeded? I am due to change filters in the Hob but don't want to lose the bb in the process.

Has it been long enough?
    There is no need to "change filters" in the HOB - you mean the media right? Whatever media there is in there (besides carbon which you don't need anyway - no need to replace that unless you are trying to remove meds), can remain unless it is really gunky - then you rinse it in used tank water. I have had the same media in my cannister for almost 2 yrs - same bio media, same sponges.

The way to get a new filter to cycle faster (grow bacteria faster) is to add media from an existing filter right into it (like a sponge or some ceramic rings - if that's what you filter uses for bio media) - the existing media on that is what "seeds" the new media.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well that is part of my issue. The aqueon just uses the filter cartriges, ther is no real media in there other than the cheap plastic grids that the filter cartridges slide into.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The bacteria-containing media is the outside of the cartridge mrramsey, If you want to increase the seeding on your Rena you could scrape some of the gunk on the surface of the cartridge into the Rena after rinsing it off..

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah Thank you Dave. Yes it is just those two plastic pieces that aqueon calls the
    Bio-holster (holds the filter cartridge) and the BioGrid that diffuses the water etc.

I have a new AC70 getting delivered today to replace the Aqueon. I will seed it with the "scrapings" from the Bio-holster and I will add the the scrapings from the BioGrid to the Rena.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal