· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Refugium ideas

Hybrid View

1. Default Refugium ideas

0 Not allowed!
    Hey so new to this forum and was just wondering what you guys think of putting a refugium behind the Nuvo 38G tanks. The tanks are really nice and I love it, but there is really no room for anything. I was looking at it the other day and it seems like this would be a perfect spot, but never had one on my last tank so not sure. I would add a small light back here and some sand and rock along with a ball of cheato. Do you guys think this will work and actually be effective? Or is it too deep? thanks any advise or other ideas are appreciated.

Tank by turbonutzz, on Flickr
    By the way this is a stock photo, don't have a heater back there.

0 Not allowed!
    It could work. I have read about many people using HOB refugiums like this one. Just make sure you have the lighting on a revers schedule from your main tank lights in order to help stabilize your pH

If this is a option for you, a sump with a large refugium compartment would be a little more effective as you could grow a lot more macro algae in there. More algae will lead to better water quality

I have also moved your thread to the salt water section so more people with experience may find this thread and hopefully offer more opinions
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would check into a UAS (upflow algae scrubber) They have been great for small spaces. All you need is some knitting screen, air pump/air stone, 'zip' ties and a light (660nm LED or sprial light bulb), maybe some reflective material (not required) There is also a pre-done kit for sale now but you can make one for way less.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    +1 for glarior; I use one and it is the best filtering system I've ever had - so small that a modest piece of wood hides it. My unit would easily fit in a 5 gal and still leave 95% of the tank volume but it handles my 75 gal (with a canister filter!) tank fine.

Your pictured system looks fine - the more algae, the better the system works but also, the algae MUST be cleaned out weekly so access is critical.
    Last edited by Cermet; 11-28-2012 at 10:54 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey thanks for the advise! Looked it up and it seems easy enough to make. Not quite sure what its purpose is though, Just to be clear, the algae scrubber builds beneficial algae to help breakdown nitrates, extra food in the water correct?

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, that is correct. Whether you are growing macro algae in a refugium, or algae in a algae scrubber, you should be achieving the same thing provided both are done right.

My personal preference is growing macro algae in a sump so I get the additional benefit of added water volume. My nitrates (in both of my tanks) never get about 2ppm and my phosphates are undetectable by my test kit. But this is only one key part of a over-all set-up. Other factors, besides macro algae and/or a algae scrubber also have a influence here.

If you add a algae scrubber, just make sure you size it correctly to your set-up.
    Last edited by Cliff; 11-29-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonutzz
    Hey thanks for the advise! Looked it up and it seems easy enough to make. Not quite sure what its purpose is though, Just to be clear, the algae scrubber builds beneficial algae to help breakdown nitrates, extra food in the water correct?
    +1 to Cliff

Plus, since the algae grows on the screen it will not grown in the display tank (if screen is sized correctly)

The living organisms that grow in fuge will still grow and pass though the scrubber.

If you build one post pictures!
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!