· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

Default Slight leak on Fluval 205

0 Not allowed!
    After a routine water change (I turn off my 2 filters during this), I noticed some water coming out of my cabinet. I opened it up and noticed that my Fluval 205 filter was trickling some water from the side where one of the clamps are. I unplugged it and put it in a bucket. I unplugged the intake and exit hoses and carefully removed the top. The o-ring looks ok but I cleaned it and the seat of the filter carefully in case there was any crud present. I closed it all back up and started it again. There was no problem getting the filter to start. But the trickle was still present.
    I read on line that a small amount of Vaseline applied to the o-ring may help seal the filter but I haven't tried that yet. Wondering if some one had tried that and what results they had.
    I plan on checking the local shop for a new o-ring come tomorrow and for now I will just have my HOB running.
    Why do things like this always happen when the stores are closed?
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, Murphy's law

I have tried using Vasoline on the main seal of my XP2 when it had started to leak. It did work alright, but I soon after replaced the seal with a new one
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I use vasoline on my o-rings simply to make it easier to open.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the quick reply Cliff.

So the Vasoline did not hurt the fish or BB in the tank/filter?

0 Not allowed!
    I've never noticed any bad effects. I don't over do it either.

Just use a good amount to cover all the surfaces of the seal, place the seal in its place, clean of any excess, and replace the cover.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I use vasoline on my o-rings simply to make it easier to open.
    After your post Lady Hobbs and Cliffs I have my answer.

Thanks all, I'll give it a try for the evening and hopefully find a new seal tomorrow.

Great site!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The vasoline applied to that o-ring did the trick that evening, thanks again people.
    I finally found a new o-ring this weekend and put it on. What a difference it makes in the way the top locks down. I didn't know how loose my original one was until I installed the new one and locked the top down.
    I will get myself another new one to have in stock in case one day years from now, I find myself in the same position. A leaky cannister filter after all the local stores have closed.
    I really appreciated the assistance Cliff and Lady Hobbs. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear it worked out and the leak was fixed