· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Poecilia Wingei Breeding tank

0 Not allowed!
    Well I guess it is time for me to start a journal. On Novemeber 10, 2012 I purchared a 29 gallon, 20 gallon, and metal stand for $40 USD on Craigslist. I figured I will make the 29 gallon a breeding tank for my Endler livebearers( Poecilla wingei).

FYI: This is going to be a very slow build. I am going to try to keep cost down as much as possible without affecting quality of life for my fish. I hope to accomplish this mostly by waiting for things to go on sale or DIY.

The tank is still at my friend's house but I will be able to post a pic of the stand tonight.

Tank dimension: 30x12x18, I will confirm these measurments once I pick up the tank on Wensday.

Filtration: 4 month old established HOB from my community tank. It is a Penn-Plax 300. I will be adding another filter later on. Since I will only be stocking the tank with roughly 12 adult endlers and 8 fries(or is it *frys*?) The tank will have plenty filtration power for now. Later on once I get another filter, most likely a cannister, I will add more fish.

Stock: 6 male endlers
    6 female endlers
    8 frys or fries.

Future Stock: 6 to 8 corydoras. Not sure which ones yet
    1 to 2 small plecos
    Nerite snails
    Malayasian trumpet snails

Lighting: To Be Determined

Substrate: Fluval Stratum (bottom layer)
    CaribSea Instant Aquarium Tahitian Moon( top layer)

Plants: To Be Announced once i get the proper names for them in order.

I will love to hear your toughts, opinions, advice, or anything helpful
    Roll the Dice!

Default metal stand

0 Not allowed!
    This is he metal stand. It has a fresh coat of paint. The previous owner did it when he bought it not to long ago.
    Roll the Dice!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice! Looking forward to watching this project develop.

Setting up a new tank is always so exciting!
    Livestreaming my 220 Gallon Aquarium
    5.5 M Betta
    10 Pea Puffers
    20 Harlequins, Neons, Platies, Guppies, Cories, Nerite Snails
    55 Silver Dollars, Pearl Gourami, Hillstream Loach, Mollies, Serpae Tetras, African Dwarf Frog, Leopard Bush Fish, Bleeding Heart Tetras, Chocolate Talking Cat, Banjo Cat
    55 Red, Blue, Boesemani Rainbows, Zebra Dainos, Zebra Loaches, Platies, Moonlight Gourami, Bristlenose Pleco
    35 Red Tailed Shark, Amazon Puffers
    220 Black Skirt, Lemon Tetras and Bala Sharks

0 Not allowed!
    Yea setting up is so much fun althought it can sometimes be stressful. At least with this build I won't have to worry about nitrogen cycle. One of the best advice I got from AC is overfiltration.

Tonight I will be picking up the 29 gallon from my friend's house and clean it up during the weekend.
    Roll the Dice!

Default Cleaning and Leak test

0 Not allowed!
    So I finally got the tank to my house Saturday. Tonight I decided to start the cleaning process.
    Here is the dirty tank

To clean the tank I used vinegar, warm water, brand new sponge with scrub pad, a very sharp knife (I couldn't find a new razor) and some paper towels.
    I only used the knife on the bottom to scrap off some the brown rust/dirt spots off. I then wiped down all the sides in and out. Afterwards filled the tank so that the dirt and rust can breakup. This will also serve as a leak test. I will empty the tank tomorrow and clean again. I will repeat this process 2 more times and hope that it will be spotless when I am done.

Here are the tools. I VERY carefully scraped as much of the rust spots without using excessive force. I avoided any contact with the silicone with the knife. A sponge and a good soak should take care of any brown spots on the silicone.

Before filling up the tank I made sure that my Aqueon Water changer reached with enough slack for future water changes.

Finally tank is filled and void of life or technology. Tomorrow I will drain and repeat. Hopefully I will have the tank up and running by next week.
    Roll the Dice!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice cleaning job!
    Livestreaming my 220 Gallon Aquarium
    5.5 M Betta
    10 Pea Puffers
    20 Harlequins, Neons, Platies, Guppies, Cories, Nerite Snails
    55 Silver Dollars, Pearl Gourami, Hillstream Loach, Mollies, Serpae Tetras, African Dwarf Frog, Leopard Bush Fish, Bleeding Heart Tetras, Chocolate Talking Cat, Banjo Cat
    55 Red, Blue, Boesemani Rainbows, Zebra Dainos, Zebra Loaches, Platies, Moonlight Gourami, Bristlenose Pleco
    35 Red Tailed Shark, Amazon Puffers
    220 Black Skirt, Lemon Tetras and Bala Sharks

Lightbulb Lighting check

0 Not allowed!
    I finished the cleaning process. The tank is dirt free, rust free, but unfortunately not scratch free. I did not scratch the tank but the former owner must have. I cant really complain since it came free with the stand.

I picked up the light fixture and bulb tonight. Since I am keeping this tank low cost, I decided to buy a clamp-on light fixture from local hardware store. I splurged a bit on the bulb. I bought a Sunlite 65K super mini spiral CFL with 1600 lumens brightness. I picked it up at my local hydroponic store.

Clamp-on light fixture: $7.99 USD
    Sunlite bulb : $5.99 USD

I bought the plant bulb to compare. I like the brightness from the sunlite instead. Oh well I will but the plant bulb in good use for my apartment plants lol.

Here is the tank with the light installed.

I like the way one side of the tank is brighter then the other side. I decide against getting another clamp-on light. I will be placing the high light plants closest to the light and low lights on the other side.

I might come up with a better way of attaching the light to the tank. I am really not to excited about clamping it on directly to the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions of a better way to do it?
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Looks great so far!
    And by the way it's "fry" - same word for singular and plural (though I totally think we should call them "fries"!!)

Default Fry!!!

0 Not allowed!
    LMAO FRY Thanks for the correction.
    Roll the Dice!

Unhappy Murphy's Law

0 Not allowed!
    I spent my Saturday buying supplies and setting up the tank. I took pics during each step for this journal. Sunday afternoon I move the HOB filter to the new tank and start fishing. As I am fishing i noticed a small tiny puddle around the foot of the new stand. I wiped it dry and 15 minutes later there it is again. The tank SRUNG a leak!!!!!

I was super depressed. All that work for nothing. Oh well, these are the problems with buying used things. Sometimes you win sometimes you don't. Even with 3 days of leak tesing didn't pervent this. I think the aquascaping was to muh stress for the seals to handle. I will never know for sure.

So i had to move everything to a smaller tank 20 gallons. Hopefully this one will not leak. It was part of the orginal craiglist purchase. I will give it a week before I post any pics of the tank just incase.
    Roll the Dice!