· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Persistent infection on dwarf rainbowfish

0 Not allowed!
    My fish has some type of external infection on the top of its head.

I tried triple sulfa, one full treatment phase and it seemed to do the trick. Infection was back in two days.

I then tried erythromycin for like 2 weeks, the infection diminished but didn't go away completely.

I then moved him into a breeder net and put him in my brackish tank (sg of around 1.003) and he was there for 7 days. Infection was visibly gone after 3 days, I kept him in there for another 4 to be sure.

Put him back in his and tank and bam, infection back.
    He is also the only fish with the infection, all others are fine. Tank is planted, no nitrates, weekly water changes as usual.

What do I do now?

0 Not allowed!
    Keep him in brackish for a few weeks to be sure? Don't know without a diagnosis. Got a pic? Chucking the fish from fresh to brackish will cause high levels of stress so be careful to acclimate properly.

Whatever you do, do it for a longer length of time. By doing very short bursts of treatment you're effectively weeding out all the weak bacteria and allowing a resistant strain to multiply. Each time it'll be harder to kill. Consider euthanasia if it goes on too long.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Have you been able to rule out hole in the head disease yet ?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/dise...einthehead.php
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with firefly regarding not being too hasty to return the fish to its original environment too fast. That is what is usually advised to people treating ick in a tank - even after you don't see symptoms anymore, it pays to wait longer than you think you need to in order to make sure everything is gone.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ah ya i realised i made a mistake with the short time of the triple sulfa treatment, that is why i went hard with erythromyocin, but it did not work.

The brackish seemed to work, and i thought a week was a good amount of time, but all i did was increase the infections resistance to salt. I didnt want to keep him in there for too long, because i thought the salt may eventually due him in kindey wise.

I did rule out hole in the head disease though, it is not that, ill throw a picture up later.

I will increase brackish to around 1.005sg and throw him in there for two weeks or more. He will either die from the salt or recover, wish me luck.

But when i acclimate my fish, i do it fairly well (at least i think so). I let them temp acclimate for an hour, then i water chemistry acclimate them by adding the new tank water bit by bit for about 3 hours. Then i throw them in.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Research; Mycobacteriosis. See if it looks like it.

0 Not allowed!
    Is it a white area that keeps appearing in the same place? If so, I agree with Cliff. A small pit forums on the head, continues to fill up with a white substance, goes away for a few days and reappears to do it again.

IF......this is what you are seeing, I would get some PraziPro to get your fish wormed (all of them) and then use something especially for Hole in the Head Disease.