· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Ich! questions and concerns.

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, first of i would like to say tank you in advance for stopping by and reading this.
    I currently have a minor Ich outbreak in my tank that started with my neon tetras. I am trying to kill it off before it kills anything. I am trying to do the heat only method because i have scaleless fish and snails. Currently my temperature is 84*F is that enough? ( I have 2 heaters in there both on high and that's as high as i can get it) Do i have to remove my carbon filter? i read that its only necessary if I'm using chemicals(which i do not want to do).

Questions:
    Is 84*F high enough to kill Ich?
    Do i need to remove my carbon filter even if i am not using chemicals?
    Can i keep my temperature around 80*F even after the treatment?

List of fish:
    2 swordtails (Marigold, Neon)
    7 Neon Tetras
    3 Snails
    1 Pleco
    2 Cory cats.

P.S. I have 2 air air stones, one really weak, and one stronger. Also have live plants.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The higher temperature speeds up the life cycle of the ich and prevents it from reproducing, so it eventually dies due to "age".

In my experience, 86f was not enough to have a reoccurence one month later. I must have had a more resilient strain. I actually had to bump it up to 87f for 14 days after the last ich was no longer visible, using salt treatment at the same time.

In your case, keep it at 86f for as little as 10 days after the last visible ich is gone.

You can keep your carbon in.

You can go down in temp once the heat treatment is done.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You see that is the problem. I do not get paid till Friday and i currently have 2 heaters in there, with both of them as high as they can go i am only reaching about 84*F. Is there a DIY heating option or another way to heat the tank?
    Or will 84*F be okay to try for 2 weeks, then if it fails buy another heater to get up to 86*F

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is your thermometer a glass thermometer or digital thermometer in the tank?

If you can't get it above 84f (due to funds), see how it progresses.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 different types of glass thermometers, one that sticks to the outside of the tank, located near the bottom. And the other is your average glass thermometer located near the top on the inside of the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    If you can't get the heat to at least 86F then you will have to add something else to kill the ich. MOST ich parasites will die in temperatures of 86 and above, in it's free swimming stage. Anything below that, and all you're doing is speeding the lifecycle up, creating more and more of the parasite, and doing nothing to kill it. Add meds or salt ASAP, if you can't get the temp up.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am sad to report deaths on this ich cure, I lost all my tetras and my pleco during this but none showed signs if ich, each looked healthy. None of them were acting stressed to strange so i am not sure what happened. But everyone this seems to be going okay

0 Not allowed!
    My condolences, that is sad.

High temperature almost certainly killed the "pleco". Pleco usually means something from the loricariidae family. In that family there's only a handfull of fish that take discus-like temperatures. You were above that.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had to quickly heat a tank one winter due to a drop of temperature in the house (long story)... I put thick towels around the tank and the tank warmed up, and stayed warm for a long time. Maybe something like this could help tank to get hotter?

0 Not allowed!
    When my tank had ick, I couldn't heat my tank that high because I had cooler water fish in the tank that would have been too stressed, so I added meds - thankfully it worked but a "minor" ick problem doesn't stay minor unless you act quickly - mine spread to other fish & I lost 3 of them.

You might want to vacuum your substrate well to remove any parasites that have dropped into it (they fall off the host fish) before they can multiply & hook onto other fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies