· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How many shrimp in 5.5 gallon?

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking about getting a 5.5 gallon and making it a shrimp tank. I would cycle the tank first and all that, but I was just wondering how many ghost shrimp I could in put in there? I have heard anywhere from 1 to 10 shrimp per gallon so I really have no idea.
    10 Gallon: 5 White Skirt Tetra
    55 Gallon: Young Oscar

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Shrimp have a very small bioload, but ghost shrimp is a generic name for whatever gets scooped up when they're collected. There are hundreds of species, and occasionally juvie prawns get netted as well. Cherry shrimp would probably be a better bet in the long run, they will reproduce in an aquarium.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Plus 1 to toddnbecka shrimp info and advice.

A 5.5gallon with 10 cherry shrimp to start, will be easy to care for and there is room to expand the colony as they breed. Just make sure there is some moss (java works good and is cheap), in the tank and dont forget to have a sponge type pre-filter on the filter if your using a HOB, so the little ones dont get sucked into the filter.

Shrimp do demand a stable cycled tank so make sure to take your time with the set-up before adding any.

Hint; Shrimp are expensive at a LFS but if you check round your area you may find a private breeder who will cut that cost by 75%.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 on the cost for RCS. My LFS (which I love for most everything else) will sell RCS for I think around $3.50 each or so. I got mine through AquaBid and paid somewhere around $10 for a dozen, shipping included. Ended up with a couple of extras, too. All were in great shape when received and bred like crazy. You will often get very small ones this way as well as they apparently ship better. Don't feel dismayed - they do very, very well.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I said ghost (glass) shrimp because the local petsmart sells them for 36 cent each and no other types are sold. I could get a ton for cheap. I keep looking on aquabid for the cherries but no good deals like you said have come up yet.
    10 Gallon: 5 White Skirt Tetra
    55 Gallon: Young Oscar

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I started with 5 in my 5.5G, not i don't know how many they are as there's more than 30 in there.

As everyone said, cherries are the way to go. and they have near to none bio-load so you should be good on that area.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you asked this question... I was curious about the number too.
    I started a 5.5 gallon tank with cherry shrimp recently... Babies born about a week ago.

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    I kept cherries in a 10g with lots of plants/moss, at times there were 5-600 in there
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    algenco did you ever have to remove any of them with that many in there?

10 gal - 2 algae eating shrimp, 4 cherry shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 2 blueberry shrimp, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 2 pc driftwood and planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice