· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default My puffer's new home...PIC

0 Not allowed!
    I had to ask way too many questions about transferring my little guy to his new home, thank you everyone for all the help and for putting up with me!
    Cheers
    Here he is in his new home:

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I adore them. I didn't see your previous post as I have been gone a few days, so forgive me if this has already been discussed, but do you ever feed him live snails? They are great hunters and really fun to watch do it. If you ever get any bladder snails, ramshorns, or Malayan trumpets drop them in there one at a time and watch him go to work. They hover around the snail like a helicopter stocking it until it sticks its head out.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've got bladder snails sitting in a bag next to his tank because they apparently freak him out
    I had put some snails in his tank before I moved him over there and he hid in the corner for two days until my wife thought to take the snails out and as soon as they were removed he came out and started exploring and acting normal... until he noticed we didn't get them all and he went back to his corner until we got the elusive little buggers out
    Maybe there were too many in there? I may try just putting in one at a time now that he's settled and see if his hunter instincts kick in.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    pppfffffffffft. wtf. This sounds like my full blood Siberian husky that refuses to step off the porch to pee when it snows... :~/

Wierd. Yeah maybe he is just too young. Give him a while to settle in, let him get hungry some night, and then try one at a time. Normally they attack with vigor. If he wont touch the bladders maybe try small ramshorns and see if that helps.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea... w.t.f.
    it kinda pisses me off. Everyone's says how fun it is to watch them hunt and tear into snails... He'll slurp up black worms like spaghetti but try to give him a snail and he runs off with his tail curled between his legs... freakin ridiculous!
    He's about a year old so he should be ready for big boy food

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah, that's plenty old. Try to fast him for a while. If you let him get hungry enough his survival instinct should kick on his hunting behavior. He may just really like black worms and is getting picky about his food. That can actually become problematic, so I'm not suggesting starving him to be cruel cuz we think watching them hunt is fun, and definitely don't let him go so long without food that you start to notice any ill effects from it, but you want to nip picky eating in the bud as soon as you can. If there are snails around and hes hungry enough to worry about it, he WILL hunt. Once he gets a taste for it you shouldn't have any problems getting him to accept them again.

EDIT:
    yeah ours slurp up bloodworms like spaghetti too, but they do this weird thing where they suck it in, spit it out, suck it in, spit it out. And each time the insides of the worm are missing a little. By the time they are done there is just a clear husk of a worm left, with all the insides missing. Problem is they leave the husks laying around so it can make a mess if I don't clear them out. Luckily they suck up with the empty snail shells really easy.
    Last edited by Nephalem; 11-26-2012 at 08:24 PM.