· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Would post in plant section but need answer fast

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said I would post this in the plant section but I need an answer fast so I can catch the cyber monday sales.

I want to make my 46 bow front a planted tank and I have done LOTS of research but I still have a few questions.

The substrate in the tank is red-flint brand sand and is inert. I don't want to change it so I've done some research on enriching substrate. I think I want to add some laterite, clay, a bit of peat, and some osmocte to it, what do you all think? What would be the best way to add it with out tearing down to much of my tank?

I plan to light my tank with a DIY light system and I have read up on it a lot but I still not sure which LED type of crees to use.

Recently I was given some anarchis by my science teacher who had extra. Its been in a clear pitcher while I was out of town. My question is how do I rid it of pests and can I just through it in till I get my the rest of plant stuff probably for Christmas? Some of the stems are really dark green almost black but still seem intact but some are really light green whats the difference do you think?

Sorry for the really long post :)

Thanks in advance

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't personally see the need to add all of that to the substrate?
    they make root tabs that will feed your plants better than what you listed.
    nutrients don't really come from clay or peat moss. so unless you want it for looks, i don't see what it'll do for plants.

if you are doing LED-have you found the correct PAR you are needing for your set up? the DIY can become just as expensive as purchasing a finnex fugeray or a ray2.
    other issues for your DIY led's. you can do the appropriate set up, but unless you have a way to test the PAR, it'll be a gamble. what looks like to the human eye isn't what the plants really need in getting the correct set up for their growth.
    do you know about heat sinks for the LED? encasing it to make it water proof? fans to keep the heat sink cool? Lot of factors for your DIY.

Arrow You need to plan ahead more my man lol

0 Not allowed!
    The substrate in the tank is red-flint brand sand and is inert. I don't want to change it so I've done some research on enriching substrate. I think I want to add some laterite, clay, a bit of peat, and some osmocte to it, what do you all think? What would be the best way to add it with out tearing down to much of my tank?
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank
    I don't personally see the need to add all of that to the substrate?
    +1 to the above.

Changing it completely to a dedicated plant substrate would be less work IMO, I don't see you being able to successfully incorporate all you have listed without breaking the tank down.

BTW - Posting here is no quicker than the plant forum. They both show up under new posts.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 11-25-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The stuff I talked about is supposed to add stuff like iron and attract other nutrients in the water. What is a good root tab? Sorry about rushing y'all but I have been out of town all week. I would rather not break down but if I have to I will.

I want the challenge of the DIY LED and I have done a lot of reading. I know about heat sinking, the LEDs will be over a glass top so no water proofing, the LEDs will be open so no fans.

I posted in general because it seems to get the most traffic.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    even if all that would add those nutrients, it won't do it forever and you'll need to replenish them via liquid ferts or root tabs.
    hence why people use tabs from the get go.
    same applys with the plant specific substrate. it works great b/c of being able to hold the nutrients but you'll still need to add them down the road.

if you don't have constant air flow over the heat sinks, you'll still need a fan. just because it is open air doesn't mean it'll cool appropriately. fans bring in the cooler air, room air is fairly stagnant and won't provide the needed cooling. it would take a unique and engineer to design the heat sink that would cool w/o a fan (trust me, I took heat transfer in college) so unless you know about the thermo conductivity of metals and fin arrays to dissipate heat, a simple aluminum box won't suffice and you'll burn out your led's.

i support the challenge of the DIY, but if you want to hit the cyber monday deals, you are really pressed for time to get the research done on specific LED's, mounting, wiring, power source, controls, heat sinks, and trying to guess the PAR produced by your drawn up spec to get the appropriate lighting.
    best of luck.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just rescaped my tank and used STS - safe t sorb. 5 bucks for 40 lbs.

It is clay based 100% fullers earth. Did it in a day.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    If you are going to go through all the trouble listed in the OP you could use Turface & MTS, Same stuff they line the base paths with at the little league diamond. And it's even cheaper than safe-T-sorb.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This isn't spur of the moment idea I have thought about this for a long time and done tons of research. Last night I did a bunch of LED reading again, and I found numerous posts where people used specific Cree LEDs they worked beautifully. For heat sinks they used aluminum "I" beams with fans. I thinking maybe 14 3 watt Crees but I am wondering which model is the best? Also is the ray 2 powerful enough for a tank thats about 20 inches tall?

Which brand of root tabs are the best with out being to expensive?
    What should I do with the anarchis I mentioned in the OP?