· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 75 Gallon Vs. 90 Gallon

0 Not allowed!
    Well I am narrowing my choices of the tank that I want. I have decided against going with the 180 Gallon tank that I originally wanted to buy as I just cannot justify shelling out that kind of money on a tank and even stocking it at this point in time.

That being said, I think I am going to go the 75G or 90G route.

So...I realize that the footprint on both tanks is the same and the only differece between the two in the height of the 90G is taller.

My question to you all is what would be the advantage of getting a 90G over a 75 Gallon? Wouldn't the stocking limitations be the same?

I don't mind shelling out the money for a 90G if I can do more with it than I can with a $75 G but don't want to waste money either.

Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed!
    The 90 gallon can provide you with a few more options for top dwelling fish, but the one of the biggest benefits is the additional stability of having 15 more gallons of water. That was why I had chosen a 90 gallon over the 75. If you want plants that require high levels of light, the 75 gallon would be a better option as the light has less water to penetrate through to get to the plants.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with Cliff. More water is never a bad thing in this hobby when it comes to stability.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do want plants and I did think of the light penetration too. There are some lovely low light plants out there that I could use in a 90G and definitely the extra water would allow for more stabilization.

Thanks for the input!

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Personally...if I ever get my 'big' tank down the road...I've decided on the 75g...the extra height of the 90 g would be an issue for me and cleaning...and not worth that bit of extra water at this point...

Just something else to think about...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Default You cannot go wrong. I <3 both my 75 and 90 :-D.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above.

While I totally agree that the extra water is nothing but helpful, One thing I think should be pointed out is that when you are 'scaping a 90 it is a LONG reach to the bottom [much less the bottom back].

... Really long.

It is something to consider.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ^^ And I'm really really short with short T-Rex types of arms so that might edge it in closer to the 75 Gallon.

I do have my eye on a 150G deal but I'm sure that will fall through but if it doesn't it looks like the 75G might win out.

I am getting super impatient to start. My live in bf wants his friend to build us a cabinet but I don't think I can wait for all that. :)

0 Not allowed!
    I would prefer the 75 gallon myself simply because I'm short. I don't want to drag out a step stool each time I reach into the tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 90g I love the extra height. I personally like tall aquariums over short more viewing screen in my mind. But I have long arms so the height is not an issue for me also I am tall so that might factor into why i prefer the 90g. I can see where it could be a pain to stretch down and try to clean near the bottom and get socked.

Guess ask your self the main question. Will reaching to the bottom in a 24in high tank to do maintenance get old fast. As far as planting plants, scrubbing and over all cleaning.

If not a 90g offers more water volume, bigger picture to view, plants can grow taller, top dwelling fish are spaced farther apart from the bottom to mid which to me makes great viewing.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with neither. I found a 125G tank that I loved and had to have so we ended up splurging on it. It's 23.5" tall so I'm definitely going to have to get a step stool to plant the dang thing. Oh well. I just hope I don't fall head first in the tank. I hope this thread helps others who are wondering the same thing.