· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default false julli's dying randomly

0 Not allowed!
    So we have had a string of julli corys dying on us. Like one every couple of weeks. They all look good when we buy them, nice and big and eating well. Then we get one that will just stop doing much and just sit around a lot and do nothing except randomly dart around the thing and sometimes twitch a lot. Then one day we find the fish dead and looking very skinny and small.

Our best guess from what we read is that it is some type of internal parasite that is killing them off? They are wild caught and what we read says that can be the case and the symptoms fit so we went out and bought some Tetra Parasite Guard which was what we read works well. We does the tank according to the instructions and are now waiting to see if it works and the one cory that currently looks bad gets better!

Any of you have any thoughts? Are we on the right track or way off?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    24 hours into the treatment and I haven't noticed a difference. As of this morning the 1 cory that we know has problems is still not acting right and I swear is looking smaller then he was yesterday. Not sure what else we can do.

0 Not allowed!
    Questions:

How large of a tank are we talking?

Is the tank cycled? Do you test your water parameters & what were your last readings for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates?

How often are you changing your water & how much at a time?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    20 gal tank. 6 cories. Yes it is cycled. ammonia 0, nitrites 0 & nitrates 10. I do 2 30% water changes a week (I prefer to break my water change up instead of doing one huge one).

No other issues with other fish in the tank at the moment. We have lost cories to what we believe is the same thing before. They start off well, eatting good and nice and big then all of a sudden one stops eating or doing anything then they get really skinny and jittery (sometimes shaking in place) then they die.

We did put down a dwarf grourmai the other day (we believe he had Dwarf Gourami Disease) but it was totally different symptoms.

0 Not allowed!
    If I were you, I would stop adding new fish until fish stop dying.

I assume you are buying your fish from the same place? Are you quarantining new fish first?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No plans on buying anything for that tank

0 Not allowed!
    Once your fish stop dying and you're ready to get more, I would consider getting a QT if you don't already have one. Putting new fish into a separate tank will enable you to monitor them for a few weeks - if one or more come in with an illness, you will be able to treat with less medication & things won't spread to your other fish. Many people "de-worm" their fish to kill internal parasites before adding them to their main tank.

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    Once your fish stop dying and you're ready to get more, I would consider getting a QT if you don't already have one. Putting new fish into a separate tank will enable you to monitor them for a few weeks - if one or more come in with an illness, you will be able to treat with less medication & things won't spread to your other fish.
    A HUGE +1 to this.

As mentioned it eliminates you putting every fish you own at risk for whatever you potentially bring home.

A few weeks isolation will also determine if it is environmental factors in your tank that causes this or if it is something they come with.

Please read Jenns sticky on QT.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We went out the other night and bought a 10 gallon tank kit from petco and set it up as a QT tank. It came with a crappy heater so bought a better one so that we can adjust the temp and get it alittle warmer. Since we didn't have a filter cycled and ready to go for the tank we used Prime in the water when we filled it and I seeded the filter with cycled filter floss from our LFS.

The cory is in there now. We left the tank bare (no substrate) so we can monitor what he eats and such. We added a small amount of a variety of foods that the other cories we have are eating. So far this one hasn't touched a thing. We are treating the water with API General Cure right now to see if that helps. If I don't see progress then I am going to go back to treating with the Parasite Guard and see if that helps.

Not sure what else we can do for the little guy. I am open to any ideas. I do have a small amount of aquarium salt that I can use if people think it can help. But I read that cories don't do well with salt.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't bother with the salt unless you know the fish has an illness that responds well to salt treatment.

As I just answered in another thread of yours, the filter floss won't automatically cycle your filter - you will need to monitor all your parameters while the cory is in there - they tend to do better in a cycled tank - make sure you don't let the ammonia get above .25ppm.

Good for you to get a better filter - most filters that come with kits aren't adequate for the tank they come with.

I also keep my QT bare bottomed - many forum members do that.