· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Post's here are by people who do this as a hobby and have experience. That does not mean it is the best way, only a way that works for them. A peer reviewed proffesional scientific paper on this exact topic was published and strongly stated that 1 ppm ammonia was ideal mostly because the nitrite consumming bacteria would have issues if the ntrite forming bacteria had high levels of ammonia and populated most of the filter media; hence, crowding them out of space.

Advice here is good and should be followed by using your judgment and deciding what to do after reading various posts - yet these posts are not facts, just best guess's. Do as you please - fact: your have a lot of algae. Another independent fact: you have high ammonia level. The two may or may NOT be related. Your tank, your call.

Hope the spot treatment works - don't forget not to forget (had to do that) that you turned your filter off and it needs to be turned on. I've done that!
    Last edited by Cermet; 11-30-2012 at 06:59 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did almost forget to turn the filter back on. Lol

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolsen27
    The light is a Nova Extreme T5HO light that has 2 54 watt bulbs. 1 Truelumen flora (6700k) bulb and 1 Zoomed Ultra Sun(6500k) bulb. I use the same fixture on my 20 gal tank with the same bulbs and time schedule and don't have any problems. Of course the 20 gal is on a 24 inch fixture and not the 48 version I have on my 40 gal. but the WPG is identical in both cases.
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't your 20g tank 3" higher than your 40g? This 3" of extra intensity may be making the difference and I would certainly give lowering the photo period a try to see if it affects your issue. WPG btw is only a measure of the power consumed by the fixture. It does not measure the available useable light at all. Click here for far more than you care to know about lighting

A peer reviewed proffesional scientific paper on this exact topic was published and strongly stated that 1 ppm ammonia was ideal mostly because the nitrite consumming bacteria would have issues if the ntrite forming bacteria had high levels of ammonia and populated most of the filter media; hence, crowding them out of space.
    Understood, But obviously this is much less of a factor if you have more than adequate biomedia capacity in your filter. No idea if that's a factor here but just thought I would add it
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The height of both tanks is the same. And both lights are 4" off the top.

I have 2 AC70's with extra biomedia in both.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh sorry, At 48" long I took this to be a 40 long [48x13x16]. Now I am curious about the dimensions of your 40G tank? It's obviously not a breeder by the pictures.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    40 gal is 48"x 13"x 20."
    20 gal is 24"x 12"x 16"

Light is 4" above the top of both tanks

I didn't realize until just now that the 40gal is 4 inches taller.

I feel slightly stupid!!! When I bought the tank on Craigslist the person called it a 40gal and I took it at that.. But after measuring it I believe it's a 55gal. Which means more fish! Lol