· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Setting up 44 Gallon again

0 Not allowed!
    Well here goes talked old lady into letting me set back up the 44 gallon in the Living room.

I want Angel's and something else any suggestions?

Rams maybe Cherry Barbs Cory's of cause Ghost shrimp or maybe a Bamboo shrimp after awhile.

So when can I start to add some fish?

Set up yesterday can I start soon.

All these questions from somebody that has had tanks for over 40 years , but things do change.

Do angelfish make good tank cycle fish?

I did use two pads from the other over 7 year filstar filters in this one to get some bacteria going.

This is a Filstar 3 on here heater and 55 Watt PC bulb using one side of two bulb system as to much heat in the summer and no don't want to add another chiller.

So let me know folks , help the old boy out, the dang Jungle Val is growing like wildfire and the local fish store closed in Sept so all Big box now Petco and Petsmart.

Pics of where it is right now I have another piece of wood which will be added today or latter on all came in yesterday.

Substrate Eco-complete and Tahitian Moon.
    Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by reef12
    I want Angel's and something else any suggestions?

Rams maybe Cherry Barbs Cory's of cause Ghost shrimp or maybe a Bamboo shrimp after awhile.

So when can I start to add some fish?

After you cycle it without fish (using pure ammonia) - read the cycling article in the beginner section of the forum - others might disagree and suggest fish you can cycle with, but I personally prefer to recommend fishless cycling.

Set up yesterday can I start soon.

Setting up a tank and letting it run does NOT cycle it - please read what I wrote above

All these questions from somebody that has had tanks for over 40 years , but things do change.

Do angelfish make good tank cycle fish?

I'm not really sure how hardy angels are but I wouldn't risk it. Your best bet is to cycle without fish.

I did use two pads from the other over 7 year filstar filters in this one to get some bacteria going.

Cycling won't happen unless there is a steady source of ammonia from somewhere - you also need to have at test kit to check your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites & nitrates)

Pics of where it is right now I have another piece of wood which will be added today or latter on all came in yesterday.
    My comments above in red.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks I think I did that on a saltwater tank yes back and might still have the ammonia stuff.

Wonder if still good.

You see years back say 35 to 40 we just threw the fish in and hoped for the best.

Yes do have a master test kit.

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    I can't imagine ammonia goes bad. Just make sure if you shake the bottle it's in, it doesn't foam up - it should shake like there's water in it otherwise don't use it.

You will need your kit to measure how much ammonia you put in (and then monitor the cycling process) - the cycling article will tell you how much to put in at the beginning - I believe for your size tank you would put in up to 3ppm - you put in a little at a time until you have the reading you want and then wait for the level to drop to 0 - the article talks about "cycling" which involves the nitrogen cycle.

Yes, I know what we all did that long ago - nowadays there is better equipment and information available to help us prepare a tank so the fish have the best chance of living a long life - that's being a responsible pet owner - just like we would need to do with any other animal. I know for the money spent on this hobby, I don't wanna see dead fish!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is a powder Ammonium Chloride I think.

Jeff

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs99dime
    You're dosing your tank with 100% ammonium chloride?

Nope could not find it, but used in cycling a Saltwater aquarium years back.

Jeff

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Adding ammonia but still at zero, and I am adding a bunch about 35 drops of pure stuff still zero , never have checked the Nitrate Nitrates yet ,but with no ammonia I guess zero on them.

Does Carbon remove ammonia?

I do have a bag in the filter to Rmove the slight yellow tint.
    But I did use two pads from a well established filter of 7 years.

So maybe that is it, any thoughts on that.

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    Your likely not adding enough ammonia and the ammonia that you have been adding was eaten up by the BB on the used filter media.

I would suggest, dosing and testing about 20 minutes later. Repeat until you get around 3 ppm.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay will try , but that eating the ammonia real quick that is good is it not?

Jeff