· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I checked water this arvo and all params were good never had ammonia or nitrite in this tank as i used seeded media. Why do you think the ammonia will spike? the worming tablet is anti-parasitic not anti-baterial I made sure of that?? Keeping the discus at 29.8 according to the digital thermometer.

I have got mainly wood in the tank and some small flat rocks, I new they could spook but i never new about hitting the ground thankyou for that i'll remove them.

I have them on pellets as well which they ignore more so than the flake which they do eventually eat all of, I wsa just wondering if them not eating it off them top indicated something so anyone. im actually looking at making my own food in the near future:)
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    The reason it could spike is simple - filter bacteria do not grow instantly. You add a large number of new fish to a tank, they produce ammonia the filter can't handle until enough bacteria grow to convert this waste. On the other hand, if the bio-load was large in the tank before adding the new fish, and this addition is not a big increase compared to the previous bio-load, then a spike may not occur. Bottom line: when adding a few fairly large fish (2 inch discus or bigger) to a tank measure the water parameters every day for a week or so - just practicing good fish keeping ... .

Your temp looks good. As for not eating at first, discus are slow, picky eaters; that is one reason they should never be in a tank with angels or other aggressive fish - they'll lose out on getting food.

A minor point - flake is a bad food to feed slow eaters; vitamins, especially C are rapidly lost to the water and the fish miss out (flake has a huge surface area to volume; many orders of magitude greater than pellets.) So, flake is a poor food for discus except when they consume it rapidly or it carries other nutrients that are not lost AND you are feeding a food that can carry these water solvible vitamins to the fish without losing them.
    Last edited by Cermet; 03-24-2013 at 02:02 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ohhhh i see i thought you meant a spike might occur because of the de-worming. The discus i added about a week ago now, i watched for a spike then, but saw none. I have 8 liters of seachem matrix as my bio media, half of which was seeded before I put any fish in so I'm fairly confident there should be enough. I will keep an eye on the params as i add more discus thanks:). As i typed this i realise the pellets i bought have expired, (i bought them a week ago) any chance this is why the discus ignore them?? I thought they would at least try and eat them or show interest in them.

The flake i use is Nutrafin Max which is high in protein in any case, tomorrow i'll see what i can do about getting a different non expired pellet.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I feed flake (Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flake and Omega One Freshwater Flake). I've tried pellets but I had a problem with bloat - I think they ate too fast. I started soaking the pellets but when I go on holiday, the fish sitters have a hard time with the soaking part, so I'm just sticking to the flakes for now. I also mix FDBW with my flakes too.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just thought i would post a few updated pictures of the tank:). A few of the plants have grown in a bit and a few have been added. The hairgrass is not doing as well as i would have hoped. But i found out why. I asked the guy i bought it off what conditions he grew them under because i had a large die off when i first but them in, apprantly he grew them out of water under constant mist. After i googled this it turns out its possible to transfer these to full aquatic environments but large amount of the foliage will die off.... greeaaaaatt. Anyway its starting to come back now and i guess once it grows a bit it will start to spread.

and i know i was meant to take the rocks out, i have a few left that im partial to sorry cermet

journal @

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and an update on the discus. I got my final 2 discus bringing the total number to 6. I then re treated the tank for internal parasites and now consider my tank stocked. Anything else i ad to the tank (more discus), or sterbai cory, cardinal tetras/ upsize rummynose school. Will have to got through quarantine:) Discus have spent their last 3 days working out a pecking order with all of them getting involved, they have pretty much sorted themselves out now with the biggest being the top dog and funnily enough one of the middle sized ones drawing the short straw. Whenever he eats around the others they chase him away, but he is the smartest he will be the first to eat pellets of the water surface and he will separate himself from the others during feeding and vigorously eat the pellets i spot feed him. You could say i have a soft spot for him, always support the underdog.

journal @

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Made my very first batch of DIY discus food today. Found a recipe online ingredients include beef heart, freshwater shrimp, oil from fish oil capsules, spinach, eggs and small amount of gelatin to bind, garlic and some pellets. Froze and chopped up. Put in the tank expecting my so far fussy eaters to turn their nose up, when they swarmed on it from every side tearing it apart. Pretty sure that the breeder i got them from was feeding them beef heart:). Anyway glad they like it and it is the cheapest way to do it to.

journal @

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just thought i should add a video of my discus chowing down on the DIY food.

journal @

0 Not allowed!
    Cool video

Looks like your set-up is really coming along nicely
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I totally agree that most corys are generally not a good match for discus temps.

Stebai are the only commonly available ones I can think of that are commonly kept in water anywhere close to that warm.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.