· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Tank is looking great. Good choice on the Rummy noses. Beautiful fish.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have to admit I was surprised at how quickly they coloured up. Only took a few hours. Guess it comes frm the fresh water of a new cycled tank. Good stock and a lot more swimming space than the store.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Been a while since i worked on my self build pH monitor was waiting on some parts. LCD screen came today so I could finally un tether it from my computer and get it in the tank. Result.

I know it's accurate because water comes out of our tap at exactly pH 7, the kit color matches up perfectly and we are close to the water processing plant and they say on their side they aim for neutral output. Also there is drift wood in the tank which may have led to the slight drop.

On a side note 6.95 appropriate for discus if acclimatised or conditioning required?
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Your conditions are perfect as long as they are stable. 6.95 is just fine. No conditioning required other than good food and clean water.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So today I kinda impulse bought discus...... Sorta. As this thread shows i have been preparing my tank for discus. I have had rummy nose in for a week or two with no issue, in fact they have noticeably grown a tad. Noses always red so i figured the tank was doing ok.

I went into by LFS to get some feeders for my turtles when i noticed they had discus (They never have before). I went and had a look no price on the tank. I asked the guy working there how much, he said they had come in today and ummed and ahhed a bit and said um $35 each. Which here is Australia is unheard of. I wasn't planning on ordering them for another week or so from Aquatic Industries. I asked him where there stock was from and he said the same place, it was gunna cost me more/ fish from the same place, obviously they got a bulk discount.

Just in case there was an issued with the stock I grabbed two, which totalled a price equal to what one this size normally costs, as i figured I was willing to risk it.

After acclimatizing both fish have already eaten and pooed a normal colour looking poo and i think the risk paid off. I know I'm meant to have more than 2 and will def be getting some more soon but I didn't want to risk it all.

journal @

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like your off to a good start
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Not bad for little juvies! Here comes the multi feedings!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everything looks really good so far. Love the plumbing work and wish i had the permission to do so. (Boss says no)

The Discus look good and looking forward to the tank progressing a bit
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have added a few more discus to the mix, from the same batch from the same store (got them to hold while i made sure tank would work for discus). One was off food still active but not as active as the others, then the dreaded stringy poo, new i should have quarantined but figures being from the same source and batch i figured it would be ok, rookie mistake. Any who read online that discus should be wormed periodically during juvenile stages anyway, so when out and bought some tablets with praziquantel as the active ingredient. Seems to have worked a treat and all fish are eating more vigorously than before and eating more, which leads me to believe they probably all had mild worming issues. Will re dose in 7 days as the tablet requires:)

On a side note, not sure if this is normal, the discus love the discus dinners i bought and will eat it no issues. However when i try them on flake they will swim to the top pick at it then ignore it. Once it sinks to the bottom they will then scrounge around and eat the flakes they come across. Is this just them saying nuh not good enough, oh wait nothing else ok i'll eat it?

journal @

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Watch the tank parameters - very likely the ammonia will spike; do what ever size water change to get the reading down to ZERO; NOT under 0.25 ppm. These are expensive discus. Discus need zero ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates under 3 ppm. Do water changes to get this. Otherwise, they will be shunted. Once full grown, the nitrates can be up to 5 ppm if not trying to breed.

Flake food is an issue for most discus not raised on that food. I feed high end pellets as do many people with discus.

Not sure the temperature you are using but 28 - 30 C is a good range - this helps them stay healthy and improves their eating.

Not sure from the photo but looks like you have rock(s) in the aquarium - bad idea with discus. They can spook for no reason and rocks can really harm them; and yes, they do strike the bottom of the tank. Wood is a better idea. Also, wood can provide not only a place to hide and de-stress but gives them markers for territories to reduce fighting.
    Last edited by Cermet; 03-24-2013 at 11:18 AM.