· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks you very much for updating the title cliff. Yeh you are 100% right, it is going to cost a bit extra to get the holes drilled, but in the long run I'm sure I won't regret it. The three hole overflow system seems very promising, I have done a lot of research and it seems a surefire solution with multiple safety factors built in. Once i get the tank and plumbing i'll upload some photos so people can see how it works.:)
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    Have you consider dual duriso stand pipes ? Each sized to take the full flow from the return pump, but one is ~1 inch higher and is really just a back-up incase the first one fails. That is how I have my 180 gallon reef set-up and I like it. Less plumbing lines to worry about and easier to set-up and maintain (at least IMO).

Just another option for you to consider

Either way, it sounds like you'll have a good set-up.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have i have looked at quite a number of setups lately. Have you looked at the bean animal before, the added benefit i can see is the reduction in noise, seeing as it is going to be close to where I sleep. With the duriso standpipe you still have air running through it even if it a small amount, and any amount of air is going to create slight noise. With having most water running on a full siphon there is no noise from that, the second pipe is actually mostly a safety duriso like you say all it is doing is taking the excess flow that comes from inability to match return to exact overflow.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I did. I got to see one in operation first hand. On of the guys in our local fish club had one set up on a 200 gallon tanks and it really seamed to work well. I did not find any difference in the noise at all between either drain set-up. The only noise from my 180 that you can hear is the water running from the tank into the overflow box. The biggest difference in my mind was the fact one had three lines requiring more plumbing and a bigger overflow built, while the other only required two lines. Both seam to work just as good when they are done correctly.

I guess it comes down to personal preference some times.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeh i guess your right, I have neither seen either first hand so i just picked one really ill keep the photos coming when i get them

journal @

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Being on summer holidays and waiting for my tank to finish, I have been bored so i decided to find, buy the parts and build an electronic pH system. Now these arn't a new thing but the accurate ones can be expensive. I previously owned an arudino microcontroller, so i bought a BNC connecter and a pH probe and some buffer fluids.

Today all three arrived in the mail and i just finished calibrating the probe with the fluids. It's great gives accurate reading to a tenth of a pH level. Now i know that these can tend to become uncalibrated over long periods of time, but seeing as i wrote the code for the test and have the buffer fluids i can calibrate every so often to ensure readings remain accurate. And of course ill keep my liquid tests and do them every so often. This just gives me a constant look at pH and can immediately tell me if something has gone wrong. All im waiting for now is my LCD screen to wire it up to to show the reading. I'll most likely wire it up to a light/alarm that will go off if pH strays from the region i require.

It's got me thinking about what else i can use this to monitor/ notify me about. I'm currently looking at a wifi or bluetooth shield that will allow me to program it to send me an email, or a message to my phone to notify me of any issues.

journal @

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Today was an exciting day, my tank is finally finished :)

It's difficult to see but there are 3 holes on the right and 1 on the left.

I'll upload a photo one i have it plumbed

That angle shows the holes for the overflow

journal @

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like some good progress

I'm looking forward to more up-dates

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank is all plumbed in

in order from left to right,
    1. full siphon tube with ball valve to ensure flow is low enough so be only water no air, but high enough to take 95% of the flow,
    2. Remainder overflow, used to take the remaining 5% or less, no noise water runs done edges of tube because there is so little of it.
    3. Third overflow is emergency, only used if one of the others gets clogged, haven't plumbed it yet, haven't needed it yet either after several start ups/ power failure tests.

This photo shows the return

journal @

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Impressive.