· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Cycling problems

0 Not allowed!
    I've been cycling since the 16th in my 20 gallon at 4 ppm ammonia and am still at 4 ppm over a week later with no signs of nitrite showing yet. I have one java fern that's been there from the begging and have my heater at 82 degrees. Is this normal or is there something else I am doing wrong?

Default Pretty normal

0 Not allowed!
    I think that 4pp is a bit higher than required for a 20g tank [2 0r 3 would suffice] but otherwise I think you just need to ride it out a bit.

This process takes a bit of time to get rolling, Much less completed.

When it comes time to redose I'd go 3ppm at the most & Hang in there.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Since you're fishless cycling, you can always crank the temp up to 85F or 86F, and add an airstone if you can. The bacteria that you're trying to grow in your filters thrives on oxygen and doesn't mind that water a bit warmer either.

You can also test your tap water to see what the pH is like. Not too many places have low pH water coming straight from the tap, but if it's 7.0 or less, then it's going to take a bit longer to cycle your tank because the bacteria will be slow at multiplying and processing the ammonia, turning it into nitrites.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    Check the cycling threads below if it will help. And 850 is correct. 4 is much too high with your sized tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After a 25% water change its down to 3 ppm but still taking forever... Checked my ph out of the tap and it is between 8.4 and 8.6 might this have something to do with it taking a long time for nitrites to show up?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bumb. A week later and still nothing... Ammonia is still stable at 3 ppm. How long until I should start seeing a drop? I'm concerned that I've messed something up but don't know what I would have done. Any help would be cool thanks.