· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Tiny feeding question

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I read so many thread about overfed and overfeeding betta that i want to do it right from the begining.
    i bought the aqueon betta pallets and the instruction says "everything he can eat within 3 minutes several times a day", well as of yesterday what he can eat in 3 minutes is 6 pallets and a blood worm seems a lot to what i read.
    What do you guys think?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't worry too much. 6 pellets does not sounds like a lot, certainly not enough to harm your fish. I would say my bettas ate about that much or more and I never had any issues with them.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    On the other hand, I don't know what size your betta is. Mine were rather large males... It's best not to let fish gorge themselves on food but rather eat a reasonable amount; you'll have to exercise your own good judgement to figure out how much that is. Sorry I was so quick to give advice without thinking it through! Hope I helped at least a little.

0 Not allowed!
    I find the feeding instructions on the back of fish food packages to be absolute rubbish!

A full grown male Betta will eat around six pellets a day. NOT six pellets three times a day. Their stomach is no bigger than their eye, and over feeding can cause some serious Betta illnesses, and on occasion, death. Depending on the particular fish, some Betta are floating garbage disposals, who will eat constantly, as much food as is given to them, so you can't judge by how much they will eat in a time span.

I generally feed my Betta 5-6 pellets, once a day in the morning. You can split that up if you like, or give fewer pellets in the morning, and a blood worm or two at night.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphe
    Hello,

I read so many thread about overfed and overfeeding betta that i want to do it right from the begining.
    i bought the aqueon betta pallets and the instruction says "everything he can eat within 3 minutes several times a day", well as of yesterday what he can eat in 3 minutes is 6 pallets and a blood worm seems a lot to what i read.
    What do you guys think?
    You are feeding your betta too much. Once you see a little bulge in their stomach (which happens in less than 3 minutes), they shouldn't be fed anymore for the rest of the day.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I thought it was a little much, he is about 1.5" including tail.
    this is what i'll do, 3 pallets in the morning and 2 in the evening or 2 blood worms.
    I don't think he is fully grown but probably close so i'll figure out if i need to adjust it.
    Thank you everyone.
    Last edited by Delphe; 11-25-2012 at 01:58 PM.