· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Heart Parrots? ...your kidding right?

0 Not allowed!
    So I am hoping you guys can clear something up for me without the usual BS coating I get from LFS.

So the story is the other day my wife and I went into one of the shops here in town that we don't care for. We have only been in there once or twice before and really got a bad vibe from the place. But the other day we figured maybe we just caught them on a bad day and we wanted to go in and take another look.

So the shop actually looked better than it had before, and the employees weren't as annoying, so things were going well. That is when I saw this fish...

It was in a tank with other parrots and it looked like the poor thing was a genetic abnormality. It was completely missing a caudal fin, and looked as if it had trouble swimming. Thing was it was fat and looked ok health wise, and being under the assumption it was a rescue I was amazed they had managed to keep it in decent health that deformed.

So I went up to the guy working and asked him how they managed to keep the poor thing fat when it could barely swim. "Do you hand feed it?" I asked him, noting that it had issue swimming.

"Oh no" he said, "That fish comes like that. It is actually a hybrid of a red devil and a parrot. They are just shaped like that."

I couldn't believe this. How could a fish naturally be so strangely formed and I had never heard of it before. So home I go to do some research. Lo and behold what is it I find? A lovely detailed description of how they mutilate parrots by cutting off their caudal as juveniles and stitch them back together to grow like this?!?

Someone please tell me that what I saw in that shop is not a "love heart parrot" that I read about. If the employee is actually either A: this clueless about how they actually make these things, or B: flat lying to me about what they are so I wouldn't punch him on the spot for having one in the store, I have to admit I would be pretty angry.

Is there actually a fish that is a cross between a red devil and a parrot that looks like this and is commonly confused for a love parrot? Or as I believe, was I given a complete sack of BS to avoid the issue?
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

0 Not allowed!
    That's a Heart Parrot. Fish are not bred without caudal fins.

And that is disgusting.

0 Not allowed!
    The heart blood parrot has had the tail surgically cut off. Never buy them and condone this cruel practice nor the dyed fish.

http://parrotcichlid.com/node/15287 The guy in the store probably didn't lie to you. He probably simply did not know and was "guessing" like they always seem to make guesses that are not correct.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-23-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    Are they "surgically removed" or just snipped off with scissors? I've seen some unpleasant videos to this effect.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    God I am sick to my stomach. I am so angry. Whelp, I guess I just should have listened to my gut instinct the first time I went in there. They wont be receiving a dime from me. I am thoroughly glad I have not purchased anything there to this day. Thanks guys.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

0 Not allowed!
    I would talk to the manager first. If they carry these fish, they probably carry died fish as well. Jut like that worker, the manager probably hasn't a clue either.

I'm afraid I do not see a different in surgically removed or cut off with scissors.