· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Freshwater clam? and Assassin snail

0 Not allowed!
    So my lfs has these in stock, I have no clue why i want a clam but will it work in my tank, I read a few care sheets and dont see anything reall much for care about these. None of my fish mess with my snails, My angels and Parrots somtimes nudge my snails a bit but nothing near harasment. Also can i mix Nerate snails and Assassin snails. I have 4 snails and would like to add an Assassin as a 5th. thanks

0 Not allowed!
    assassin snails generally will not attack other snails that are larger than they are, so nerites likely will be safe.

clams really should not be kept in all but the most specialized aquaria, and here's why:

- they are filter feeders, relying on whatever minute particles are in the water
    for nourishment. you will have to constantly add microscopic food to your tank which might mess up water quality
    - most clams sold in the hobby are actually coldwater, and will not thrive in the temperature of most fish tanks
    - they bury themselves, and for the most part, are invisible. when they die they do so quietly in the gravel and the first sign that tells you that your clam is dead is when the ammonia spikes and the rest of your livestock get sick.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis
    assassin snails generally will not attack other snails that are larger than they are, so nerites likely will be safe.

clams really should not be kept in all but the most specialized aquaria, and here's why:

- they are filter feeders, relying on whatever minute particles are in the water
    for nourishment. you will have to constantly add microscopic food to your tank which might mess up water quality
    - most clams sold in the hobby are actually coldwater, and will not thrive in the temperature of most fish tanks
    - they bury themselves, and for the most part, are invisible. when they die they do so quietly in the gravel and the first sign that tells you that your clam is dead is when the ammonia spikes and the rest of your livestock get sick.

thank you, idk why i wanted a clam..ohwell but i will get an assasin

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    While I fully support madagascariensis's advice, especially concerning large clams, which require separate feeding and they dig substrate in such way that you would face a new landscape each morning with all plants in a free sail, I believe the key to keeping them is the type of clams. I kept, I believe some sort of Corbicula clams, which grow just a few cms largest, for more than 1.5 years in my community tank. "Some sort" is because I am not sure about correct identification, I just know that they were captured in the local river, and description found in the internet somehow close to clams I kept. No special feeding, but frankly, the water in my tank was not a crystal clear one :). Unfortunately, I accidentally killed them with small doze of phenbendazol which I used to fight planaria. Here are some pictures of my clams.

0 Not allowed!
    At least one species of European freshwater clam is an occasional intermediate host for carp louse.

Knowing the trade and knowing a bit about freshwater inverts I think you can probably forget about any reliable information from the shop. I also vaguely recall that at least one big chain store in the US will shortly stop selling these animals because of the extremely poor succesrate in aquaria.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    clams are filter feeders, ... means have stuff in your tank for them to eat.

the distributor my LFS uses claims their clams eat ammonia, ... k, so they don't know what they're talking about.

have greenwater, and enough clams so the water just has a faint green hint. treat them like daphnia.

our pristine waters in our aquariums are going against us for certain critters, clams being one of them. so i know that limits comparability when it comes to fish that are very picky about water quality. granted with that said it might be a moot point if greenwater is not a part of the water quality equation when it comes to fish that want pristine water.
    "You cannot understand a system until you try to change it."
    -Kurt Lewin

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    assasin snails will eat nerites, they'll eat any snail they can get a hold of, one asssnail may not be able to take down a nerite but give a few months when it has a few more buddies and they will gang up on the nerite and take it down. there are reports of assasins eating shrimp, especially bamboo shrimp because they dont move much. buyer beware.

0 Not allowed!
    We all know that. Is there a particular reason you're digging up threads that are many months old just to add this

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if you all know that than why didnt somebody post it?

i was just skimming through the threads, dont really pay much attention to the post dates, guess there isnt as much traffic here as i imagined.

is there a reason you care that i posted on thread that is a few months old, is that a problem, have i broken some set of unwritten fish forum rule?