· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default Seachem Purigen Need Advice

0 Not allowed!
    Quite some time back I purchased a 100ml bag of Seachem Purigen to test out in my 20 gallon. I could rave about it like I was hired for a commercial, so I will spare you the love I have for this product. I would like to use it in my other tanks, but I have an issue.

The 100ml bag fits (just barely squeezing) into my AC30, but it doesn't have a hope in hades of fitting into the AC20's on my other tanks. I can't seem to find filter bags that are tight enough weave so that I could buy the loose Purigen and use them in those smaller filters.

Does anyone have any advice on where to find such small filter bags that would hold Purigen? Thanks for any help!
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    new pantyhose...cut to desired size...rinse in old tank water...put purigen in...tie a knot...place in filter

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor
    new pantyhose...cut to desired size...rinse in old tank water...put purigen in...tie a knot...place in filter
    +1

As long as the media moves around, then you're fine.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL duh, I should have thought of that! Thanks!
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Just a suggestion that I give to everyone with nitrate or algae issues - since you are trying to remove nitrates (I assume since that is what this product is best used for) why pay for a chemical time and time again?

In tank algae scrubbers are available that remove not only nitrates but phosphates and once the up front cost are paid (very little if you make your own), you don't have to continue to buy chemicals and will save $$$ over the years. Also, an in tank algae scrubber removes all sorts of toxic wastes and many organics. Being so small, it really does not cause an eye issue - I use a small piece of driftwood to hide my unit. While the scrubber can easily fit and hide in a 10 gal tank, my tiny unit handles the 75 gal and five discus.

You can either make or buy a unit. Just send me an e-mail and I'll give you the site. By the way, I do not have any interest what-so-ever in the person doing this site. I am just so amazed by the performance of the unit I bought that I really think everyone with fish should use this incredible filter. The amount of water changes this unit saves me is amazing (nitrates stay lower than my tap!) and my algae problems are gone (those plagued me for years! Darn phosphates; I used chemicals for a awhile but the cost was so high but someone here pointed out these units. I still cannot believe that no one thought of these units until recently.)

By the way, a while ago (before learning about scrubbers) I paid $$$ for a commercial nitrate remover that uses bacteria and needs to be fed. It worked but killed five of my discus due to the company’s grossly poor instructions. Lesson learned. Algae scrubbers, besides being safe, are so simple - no feeding!
    Last edited by Cermet; 11-23-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Purigen can and should be regenerated with a bleach solution every few months, so there is no need to pay for it time and time again.
    http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...s/Purigen.html
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, I don't use it for algae, but for dissolved organics. Especially in my 20 gal, with Snails and Oto cats, which are fed vegetable matter. Though the tanks are clean and nitrates are down, the food items can haze the water.

Purigen has given this particular tank an "Is there water actually in there??" look...... they look like they are floating in air it is so crystal clear. My tap water, sadly, leaves a lot to be desired, and I wanted to try something with a longer active life than carbon, which IMO is useless.

My neon tank has had a "haze" to the water for a few weeks since adding in a dose of Seachem stability, that water changes and meticulous maintenance are not putting a dent in no matter how hard I try. This tank, as well as my others, has great stability, and all water Parameters, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and below 5 of nitrate, so Purigen is mostly for aesthetic qualities.

I appreciate the information though, as that may be helpful to me in the future. I am intrigued though, can you message me the link to the site? I am now curious as the get out to see what that's about. Not sure I could do it for all my tanks (have four currently lol), but its worth investigating.