· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong...

1. Default Is it wrong...

0 Not allowed!
    Is it wrong for me to want a third tank in my heart...when i don't know if there is a place i can put it or what size to get.

My nitrates in the 10 gallon are up to 10.0 so it will be water change time tomorrow night or saturday. I was considering AFTER THE MONTH INTERVAL from a cycled tank being called cycled adding three cardinal (get up to 2 inches at maturity) or neon tetras (getting up to 1 inch at maturity) to the ten gallon. but i need to see what my front plants look like after they fill out as i just transplated some of the crypto from the 4 gallon into the 10 gallon because there was just no room for Jack the betta to get behind one clump in the 4 gallon he likes. so rearranged things in both tanks.

Took out the grass in the ten gallon for some of the crypto wendii transplants (this post should really be in the journal area for my tanks by my baseline questions qualify here.)

Question 1.
    Once i have waited the month duration after calling my 10 gallon tank cycled, do you think my 10 gallon tanks bioload could handle 3 -4 neon tetras or 2-3 cardinal tetras.

Question 2.
    I may be able to find a spot in my house to put another tank about the shape of my 4 gallon, but maybe it would be no more than 6-8 gallons due to the fact i'd have to move a nightstand to put it on (it's a good sturdy nightstand or one of my two end tables from my living room. don't know if it could support more than a 6 - 8 gallon to be honest). If i do that what should i put into it? The reason it wouldn't be bigger than a 6-8 gallon at the most is due to the price as well, i don't believe i can afford to set up another ten gallon. The other option is just stick with what i have because i know they fit in my house without massive rearranging of furniture. (though now i know why all of you are so nuts about your tanks...it's the set up that's expensive, everything after that is keeping up on water changes)

Thoughts, Concerns, comments, welcome.

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    for a 10 gallon i would choose one type of tetra and stick to that, make sure you add only two or 3 at a time.

I am not sure what fish would fit in a 6-8 gallon tank, besides bettas I can only think of honey gouramis or croaking gouramis as being tiny enough. there are other smaller fish but they need to school. celestial pearl danios might work, but they are really expensive. or you could set up a shrimp/snail paradise...

and no, it is not wrong to want more tanks. I think that almost everyone
    here is secretly planning for an extra tank they likely won't ever set up too.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh i know i just was thinking if i went with the neons i could have 4 maybe since they don't grow past 1 inch in size at maturity. If i went with the cardinals it may have to be 3 of them as it gets to 2 inches at maturity. If you were me what would you choose? Current fish in the ten gallon is 1 male betta and 3 julii cory cats. tank is planted and i made some 'caves' out of stacking stones i got from the reptile section at petsmart and some river rocks i had bought previously.

Would my ten gallon be able to handle the bioload of the tetras.

and yes i agree almost everyone is planning for a tank they'll never put up.

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    I am, in my head, currently planning a Bala shark tank which would never fit in my house (so likely will never have lol). I think we all do it.

Neon Tetra need a school, three or four is not enough. I would say seven is probably the smallest number I would go with, but to be honest, I am not sure about the bio load with the other fish you have. You could try Aqadvisor and put in those fish, and see what it thinks of that bio load, but I'm guessing that would be too much.

Neon's and cardinals need the larger school, especially if they are to be around a predatory fish like a Betta.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    I would personally not put a larger group of tetras (like 6+) into a 10gal - even neons - there is simply a limited amount of space for them to swim. It's like when you see fish in a LFS - their holding tanks are really small and they aren't meant to stay in those for very long. Others might disagree with me. The smaller the tank, the less you can really do with it fish-wise.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to andreahp and Tiari. Four neons is wrong since that is too small a school. A betta would be nice.

Good you want to lower the nitrates since 10 ppm isn't too high for most fish but I feel should be as low as possible.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    there is one betta in with the three julii corys in the ten gallon. And yeah i see your point on it on the tetras. Are you suggesting i put a female betta in the tank with my male? I don't think they would be able to breed as it's a ten gallon with filtration going and the temperture sticks around 80 degrees, and the ph is steady at 8.2 because that's the tap water ph. I know with the filtration they can't make the bubble nest.

I have in my minds eye if i got a third tank and actually found a place for it, that it would be a schooling fish tank or a male guppy or gourami tank. This girl will not be taking care of goldfish lol though i respect those who actually care for them properly. i'm actually afraid to see what my friend's water sample looks like for his goldfish tank if he brings it on sunday. especially if he told me and he did that he accidentally overfed the fish. :: sigh :: learning way too much from you people.

Just added a touch of seachem's flourish to both tanks this evening. I may make that a biweekly addition, since it shouldn't affect my freshwater master test kit results much. What do you guys think in regards to the flourish? both my tanks are planted.
    Last edited by Shidohari; 11-23-2012 at 08:49 PM.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh no. Don't put a female betta with a male betta. That usually will equal carnage. They just don't get along except for mating...kind of like some humans!

To be honest, IDK about putting any more fish in your 10gal with the betta and corys. I am cycling a ten myself, and it seems like you wouldn't be able to put enough tetras in there for them to be safe, and the betta might decide to rip them up anyway. A ten gallon really is small.

Set up the third tank and make it a species tank, with tetras.( Petsmart had a sale on a 10 gallon kit for 27.00 or so) That would be safer. I don't think it would be such a big deal...you just do the water changes all at once, going from one tank to another.

As far as adding flourish, what kind of plants do you have....Hmmm...I know you have some crypts in there, right? It may be easier for you to do root tablets instead. They won't hurt anything.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    AND...I went from having a 20 gallon tank, to a 55 gallon, then added a five gallon, and now have upgraded the 5 to a 10. And it's in my kitchen. The big tank is in the "fish room" but I wanted my future betta to join the family, so his tank is on the counter.

I asked DH "what kind of person puts a fishtank in thier kitchen?" He replied "you do." He knows I'm eccentric, and surprisingly seems to enjoy it. So many of us do this...add tanks, upgrade tanks, etc. It's just so fun to have these little lives around us.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    mostly crypto, but my ten gallon has an anubis plant as well the one that puts out a flower.

the four gallon only has crypto. I did get a bottle of generalized sechem's flourish so it is the one that has a bit of everything without being EXEL which kills some fish.

And yes if i got another tank it would be a ten gallon at the most...but all i would have to put it on are nightstans, unless i widen out the kitchen table...which i can, the leaf is under my bed to give me enough room to put a ten gallon on it as well as still have meals there....DAMN IT NOW YOU HAVE ME THINKING.

why you do that to me lol.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice