· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default 29 gal gourami tank

0 Not allowed!
    I had all sorts of other ideas before about trying angels or cichlids, but while doing my research I have just fallen in love with gouramis. I want very badly to have a nice gourami habitat in my 29 gallon tank. I'd Love to have two dwarfs and two opaline gouramis and I was curious if there would be room left over after that for gold gouramis.

I know the inch per gallon rule is inherently broken, but I figure dwarfs are 4" adults and opalines/golds are 6" adults, so I was thinking that two of each would be awesome. It would put me a little over my limit, but i'll have a 75 gallon filter running through it, along with weekly maintenance.

Or maybe stick with two pairs (opaline has to be one of the pairs) and fill in with some silver tip or bood fin tetras and a BN pleco...

Would this work ou for them? The tank will be lightly planted, with some nice driftwood to hide in. Also, I plan on getting a bigger tank in a year or so... 55gal or so. I don't know how long it takes for gouramis to reach their adult size, so maybe three pairs would work while they're small and juvenile?

Your help is greatly appreciated, I've never kept gouramis before!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Don't give up! - Rue   good poster - Lady Hobbs   something to chew on :) - Dave66   *kicks* - Drumachine09   Have a slice on me, thanks for the other forums! - Bill M.   

0 Not allowed!
    I would stick with only 2 pairs...actually only the dwarfs....golds and opalines are pretty big for a 29 gallon. You probably would get away with it though.
    Whatever you do, if you are going to go with pairs, just make sure you get 1 male and 1 female for each pair.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    just get one pair of one species, more may cause trouble.

also you can add some tetras and cory's to the tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Don't give up! - Rue   good poster - Lady Hobbs   something to chew on :) - Dave66   *kicks* - Drumachine09   Have a slice on me, thanks for the other forums! - Bill M.   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoa_pleco
    just get one pair of one species, more may cause trouble.

also you can add some tetras and cory's to the tank
    That is why I have in my tank along with some rasboras......the only trouble I havein that tank is the 2 gouramis fighting with each other...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift Lasm.... - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    What is the inch per gallon rule?
    Luis

What fish would you like to be...???

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    some people use 1" of fish per 1g of water. it doesnt work because you cant stick a 10" fish like a oscar in a 10g. it only kinds works with fish 1-2" like tetras, else its crap.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    well that makes me sad... I suppose it makes sense though that if I wanted several pairs it means i would have several males of different strains... dont want them fighting, after all. So a pair of golds would be too big for a 29? I've been operating off of the recommendations of the liveaquaria website, which said they could be okay... So since I'm only looking at one pair, how's this for a list?

2x Gourami (dwarf or opaline)
    6-8x silvertip tetras or bloodfin tetras
    1x BN pleco

Then... I suppose I've still got a little room, right? What, if any of the following would be appropriate?

1x red tailed shark (so cool... would love to have one of these, but probably too small of a tank)
    1x Cory Catfish (hear they do better in groups though)
    1x gold dojo loach
    1x betta (long shot I know... probably not)
    1x yellow lab cichlid
    1x siamese algae eater
    1x-2x Topsail Platy

I would like glass catfish, but they supposedly need 5 or more to be happy. What say you with more experience than me?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    You could easily keep a dozen or even two dozen tetras in your 29. Of the possible additions, six of the smaller cories would be perfect. Others, not so much.
    The red tail shark would hassle the cories, the cichlid needs hard and alkaline water . . .list goes on.
    Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lasm
    What is the inch per gallon rule?
    It's a stupid rule that is mentioned often on the internet and only applies to small species. I hate that rule and it should not be mentioned as it only tends to confuse. Angelfish, for example, need 10 gallons each. Oscars need at least 55 gallons. Goldfish need several gallons each. There are so many variables to that "rule" that it is really useless.

It only applies to grown fish and small fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    forrestcook, I have had the 3-spot (blue), the gold and the moonlight gouramis. All are a larger variety and all are temperamental. I had one very large lovely moonlight and he was fine and left everything alone until I thought I would be nice to him and get him some 'friends'. Peace never returned to the tank. He was better off alone.

I did fine with the dwarfs but I think I had all one sex. You may try to get all one sex, as well. You can't have a tank of males and toss in a female because we all know what happens there.