· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default good ole impulse buys.

0 Not allowed!

new ten gallon with a pair of convicts, a golden loach, corydora and mystery snail mature media with natural plants and a 10-35g filter

0 Not allowed!
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i know im planning for baby fishies and aggressive behavior, water is at cichlid parameters, but right now they are focused on each other and not the loach and corycat so unless they show signs of agression ill leave them in there.

Question

0 Not allowed!
    You didn't plan to get an appropriate sized tank? Or, You have one and your not using it. If the first--> Expect some deaths.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just so you have a heads up, we bought some Honduran red points which are basically the same fish as the convicts. They are actually known as blue convicts. We bought them intending to breed, but expected it to take about a month or two of conditioning before our first batch. Foolish of us... This fish needs no stinking month. In one month they had hatched out two batches of fry. The first one about 18 surviving to free swimming, and the second batch about 40 surviving to free swimming. In this time they spent maybe a total of five days together. This is how quick these guys reproduce. Also while spawning they are mean little buggers. You wont have some aggression, you will have constant, unrelenting, psychotic face sucking. They will either harass the other fish to death or kill themselves in the act trying. If you have a male and a female and aren't set on buying multiple large breeder tanks, or having something you can do with a constant supply of fry, I would just cut your losses and separate these fish now. It will save you the worst of the aggression if they aren't together to go into spawning mode and you will actually enjoy them as fish instead of having breeding factories. I believe this is what 8 was getting at. Your setup is no where near the size you need to accommodate a spawning pair of convicts, and the tankmates wont work with them once they have their first nest anyway. Just wanted you to know what to expect.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the positive: tank looks cool

the negative: you will have dead fish within a few months.
    you cannot impulse by live animals when you are not ready or understand it.
    what you have just done with your fish tank is like buying 2 great danes and putting them in a 500ft sq studio apartment (with no way for them to go outside)

as 850R and Nephalm have pointed out already...you are set up for disaster.

my suggestion: return the fish and do research this time on what is available at your local fish store, come here to this forum and ask what is appropriate for the tank your size.

what is the point in getting fish that won't be happy and will kill themselves or the others? then what, you have wasted your time and money and can't enjoy the tank.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    The issue now is what to do - first off, return the fish you don't want so the ones you do want will live happily and thieve for the tank you have, not the one you would need.

Next, you MUST cycle the filter doing a fish based method unless you return all the fish. This means you read the section on fish based cycling AND buy a liquid test kit that allows you to measure the ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, and pH of the water.

This next part is critical. Until then, do 8 gal water changes every other day. Yes, that large and don't skip until you know it is safe.

Know that many (myself included) have done an impluse buy and both the fish and I have lived to tell the story. The key point is not to mix fish that cannot tolerate another species.

Best of luck

0 Not allowed!
    There ya go - impulse buys when it comes to fish are usually never a good idea - interesting looking/pretty fish still come with responsibilities attached that humans must learn about 1st prior to purchase.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in