· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New 29 Gallon!

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeneyc
    nitrites at 4ppm and nitrates at 10ppm and rising. Zero Ammonia.
    any day that your ammonia is 0 after 24 hours, you should dose again to 1/2 of your original dosage to keep those bacteria growing.

So if your ammonia has been a 0 for a day or more and you haven't dosed, you've slowed things down.

To restate: test every 24 hours (no more) and if ammonia has dropped to 0 after 24 hours and you still have nitrites, then do a 1/2 dose. Each day that ammonia is 0 and you still have nitrites, 1/2 dose again until you have both 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. once you hit that sweet spot and you also have nitrates, you're cycled. Do a W/C and stock.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 12-19-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted:severum, EBJD, congos, royal pleco
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Default Two clarifications for you

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    any day that your ammonia is 0 after 24 hours, you should dose again to 1/2 of your original dosage to keep those bacteria growing.
    This '1/2 dose' applies after you have NitrItes showing
    To restate: test every 24 hours (no more) and if ammonia has dropped to 0 after 24 hours and you still have nitrites, then do a 1/2 dose. Each day that ammonia is 0 and you still have nitrites, 1/2 dose again until you have both 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. once you hit that sweet spot and you also have nitrates, you're cycled. Do a W/C and stock.
    For the last bit of this I just want to add that the 'half dose' FM refers to is half of the original amount you maintained your cycle with as opposed to you continually reducing the amount by half each time.
    I just noticed it could potentially be read that way.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrites GONE Ammonia GONE! I've never been so happy to see nitrates so high. Did about a 50% water change and put a carbon sock back in the canister. Added an Ozelot Sword and another piece of driftwood with some Christmas Moss ('tis the season?). The driftwood with the moss has not been properly treated so I needed to remove it. I haven't tested for Nitrates yet, so I won't add fish until I know they are down.

Should I throw some Ammonia in there until I get fish? just to keep the BB alive?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrites GONE Ammonia GONE! I've never been so happy to see nitrates so high. Did about a 50% water change and put a carbon sock back in the canister. Added an Ozelot Sword and another piece of driftwood with some Christmas Moss ('tis the season?). The driftwood with the moss has not been properly treated so I needed to remove it. I haven't tested for Nitrates yet, so I won't add fish until I know they are down.

Should I throw some Ammonia in there until I get fish? just to keep the BB alive?
    Congrats!! And yes. If you're not adding fish right away, make your usual dose of ammonia until you add them. Just make sure you don't add fish and ammonia the same day.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you bet. I was thinking of Adding them on Monday, unless my LFS is open tomorrow.

I'm thinking of getting some Cories first. Good idea? Feed them shrimp pellets. I've heard they do well with Rams is this true?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you bet. I was thinking of Adding them on Monday, unless my LFS is open tomorrow.
    Just make certain the ammonia is down to 0 again before you add any fish and that your nitrates are below 20. below 10 would be better. W/C will take of it

I'm thinking of getting some Cories first. Good idea? Feed them shrimp pellets. I've heard they do well with Rams is this true?
    You could actually add your entire stocking list if you want. That's one of the benefits of the fishless cycle. Just don't pack it too full. Your cycle will be fragile for the first few months so you don't want to stress it over much.

If, however, you add only a few fish first, then wait a few weeks before you add just a few more to allow your newly cycled tank to adjust to the new bio load

As to the corys. If you chose to only add a few fish and not your entire stock, your bottom dwelling fish should always go last. Always. If you would have an unexpected ammonia spike (which could easily happen in the first few months) the bulk of the toxins settle at the bottom. You can keep the substrate clean with light vacuums until then.

So go with the swimmers. I can't remember what you decided but I'd go with a nice school of some kind of tetra if that's what you have in mind. After they've been there a few weeks, then you can add your cories if you like. And yes, cories and rams are great together. As for food, the cories will eat anything that sifts to the bottom and should have a well balanced diet so mix it up and don't feed only shrimp

Just as a point of reference, my 30 gal has 8 colombian tetra, 6 long fin serpae tetra, 6 cory cats, 1 BN pleco, 1 DW gourami, 2 snails and most recently a pair of GBR. I make weekly 50% W/C and vac part of the substrate each time I change the water. Never had an ammonia spike and nitrates stay around 15. I feed a good protein rich flake on a daily basis. I also drop some sinking veggie chips and or algae wafers a couple of times a week for the cories. I keep a zucchini round at the bottom for the pleco and snails, treat the tank once a week to either frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms and the Rams get sinking cichlid pellets daily - which the tetra also love LOL. One day a week I fast the tank. Hope all of this is helpful to you

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the info. why do you fast your tank?

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the info. why do you fast your tank?
    Keep in mind that many fish do not eat every day in the wild, It's a natural thing & it helps to keep their digestive track cleaned out.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.