· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ideas For Colorful 46 Gallon Bowfront

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I am setting up my 46 gallon bowfront aqaurium again and need some suggestions. To start off, this tank will be set up for my mom. She has had fish before but in no way would I consider her experienced. Over the weekend she had mentioned she would like it set up again instead of just sitting empty in our kitchen :) This tank was used as a salt water aquarium but Im really not feeling up to that again and being a poor college student I'd like to keep it freshwater. For about 2 years after the salt tank I used this as un upgrade for my 3 large fancy goldfish but about 6 months ago I lost all 3 to an unfortunate accident. The tank has been re-cleaned, filled and planted.

Tank stats: As said this is a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium. It has a glass hood with a light fixture. It is not currently heated but maintains a steady temperature of about 78. My filter is a used canister that sits underneath in the stand. I just purchased new carbon packs so it should be good to go. I also borrowed about 10 gallons of water from my friends cycled tank to start me out. It has 3 large plants, a fake driftwood ornament and about 3 inches of black sand.

What she wants.: My moms biggest concern she says is that the tank is colorful and low-maintenance. By low-maintenance I mean that I will do a water change on the weekends and she will just feed the fish. The only fish I'm pretty positive I want are is 1 albino bristlenose pleco and 6 albino corys. Other than that I am pretty much open to anything. A few fish I wuld prefer to stay away from would be platies and guppies. I am also not a huge fan of dwarf gouramis. No Glofish either, they just look to unnatural for me.

Any stocking ideas or options would be great. Thanks!!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also have been really considering killifish. Anyone have any opinions on this?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Veerie
    Also have been really considering killifish. Anyone have any opinions on this?
    Nixing this idea. Just read that they like soft water and our water is extremely hard.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As far as just your question goes I highly recommend Congo tetra. They are exceptionally beautiful mid sized tetra that are fairly low maintenance. They are also one of the only tetra that will do well in smaller schools of approx 4 individuals. They can do well in larger schools but you have to be careful about the m/f ratio to avoid aggression issues. As background there are many rasbora or characin species that will work well for top to mid range, and they will leave the bottom open for the BNP and cories you mentioned.

Do you know the specifics of cycling a tank? Even if so it wouldn't hurt to brush up by reading the red cycling stickies at the top of the forum. Those 10g of used water won't help your cycle much. You would be much better off getting some dirty filter media from your friend with the mature tank. Also those carbon carts don't work for much other than removing meds or certain other things from the water column. They also go bad over time and can crash the tank or need to be replaced. You would be better off getting some bio ceramic or sponges that don't need to be replaced.

Welcome to AC.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephalem
    As far as just your question goes I highly recommend Congo tetra. They are exceptionally beautiful mid sized tetra that are fairly low maintenance. They are also one of the only tetra that will do well in smaller schools of approx 4 individuals. They can do well in larger schools but you have to be careful about the m/f ratio to avoid aggression issues. As background there are many rasbora or characin species that will work well for top to mid range, and they will leave the bottom open for the BNP and cories you mentioned.

Do you know the specifics of cycling a tank? Even if so it wouldn't hurt to brush up by reading the red cycling stickies at the top of the forum. Those 10g of used water won't help your cycle much. You would be much better off getting some dirty filter media from your friend with the mature tank. Also those carbon carts don't work for much other than removing meds or certain other things from the water column. They also go bad over time and can crash the tank or need to be replaced. You would be better off getting some bio ceramic or sponges that don't need to be replaced.

Welcome to AC.
    I looked into the congo tetras and Im going to show her a pic. Not sure if I could find any but I like the looks of them. I knew the 10 gallons wouldnt help too much but thats really all she could spare. I have 4 sponges and bio-balls in my filter as well. Ive always used the carbon packs never had an issue with them so far but Ill keep that in mind

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    For colour why not have 15neons/cardinals 15black neons and maybe a dwarf cichlid? A single male Krib or maybe 1 or 2 Bolivian rams. That would meet the criteria of low maintenance and colourfull
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2nd that^

and if you have black substrate those colors will really pop!

and to play it safe, i would get the krib, it is a hardier fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Veerie
    I looked into the congo tetras and Im going to show her a pic. Not sure if I could find any but I like the looks of them. I knew the 10 gallons wouldnt help too much but thats really all she could spare. I have 4 sponges and bio-balls in my filter as well. Ive always used the carbon packs never had an issue with them so far but Ill keep that in mind
    Carbon packs won't help (carbon is really only needed to remove medication) - getting used bio media will help your tank cycle faster - as Nephalem indicated above, water isn't where the bacteria live that you need to grow - it's in the filter and somewhat in the gravel - maybe your friend can provide some of that or a little something from an established filter.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love the idea of the tetras and then a krib. would they still be okay with the BNP and corys?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The 10 gallons I got were the best I could do at the time. I tried to get as much mulm as possible by gravel vaccuming the bottom. I guess if it didnt hurt or help it's not that big of deal as the tank IS cycling. When I left over the weekend ammonia was at 3. When I go home Wednesday Ill check it again.