· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Salt and fish/shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Just a question about adding aquarium salt to tanks.
    Can all my fish deal with a little salt added to the tanks?
    I have always added a little salt to my guppy tank (less than a teaspoon to 20 gallon every couple months... water changes weekly with no salt)... However, I am venturing out with other fish.
    Fish are:
    Aquarium 1, 20 g: oto cats, guppies, blind cave tetras, neon tetras (and want to get rid of... small brown snails).
    Aquarium 2, 20 g: swordtails, guppies, oto cats, cories, neon tetras, betta
    Aquarium 3, 5.5 g: cherry shrimps, oto cats

Any thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    There's really no need for salt at all, it's just added expense for debatable/dubious benefit.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=31554
    Last edited by sheamurai; 11-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    There is really no need to add salt to any of your tanks - in general, it is only recommended to use salt to treat certain illnesses that respond to it (like ick). Best to only use it for therapeutic reasons.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Thumbs up Fresh water IS fresh water

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai
    There's really no need for salt at all, it's just added expense for debatable/dubious benefit.
    +1
    Totally agree
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only time I use salt is to battle Ich.

It can be damaging to some fish and plants.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Because the guppies have babies montly and I can only sell them every 3 months (luckily I sell monthly), I found that a little salt helped to keep ich down. Also the salt does not affect the guppies.
    I used to have a large number of guppies in the tank.

However, I don't have as crowded a tank now... so maybe I will cut salt out.

Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    What do you mean by "keep ich down" - you mean you never had ich so you feel the salt did the trick?

Salt is not a preventative treatment if the illness isn't visible - many fish come home and are perfectly healthy - some are harboring diseases and the stress of being transferred or being put into an uncycled tank will bring on illness, but if you don't see anything & your fish are acting fine, there really isn't a point of using it routinely as stated above.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No... I had ich many times from having too many fish in the tank... when I used salt (which does not affect guppies, which I was raising for a local pet store) the ich went away... I finally started using some salt in the tank (as recommended by the pet store) and no ich ever came back.

Please note that this was 20 years ago before anyone else tells me salt is not good and the dangers of using it!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The ich probably went away if you started to stock correctly.

so now you know to not overstock or issues like ich occur.

and another reason to not use salt-if you were to get a strain of some disease in the tank and you constantly dose salt, then when you medicate with salt it has a weaker effect bc of the tolerance built up by it.