· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Best way to treat for ammonia

0 Not allowed!
    Last night I tested my water and found I had an ammonia issue. I did a 50% water change and added some prime. I also bought some ammonia chips and bulk carbon which I added to a media bag and put that in my FilStar Canister XP filter. The girl at the LFS said that should help with the ammonia

How often should I be doing a large water change.. daily .. few times a week ?

I need some advice to get this corrected. The water in my area has a normal hard pH so I don't know if I can ever get a better reading for that. I didn't test the water since I did the big water change and I'm worried I'm doing something wrong.

Any advice to get rid of the ammonia would be great.

The fish are all doing well and swimming about. They don't seem to be stressed because of it but I need to do whatever I can to get the water back to better parameters.

Thanks for any suggestions. I have the API ammonia test.. comes with two bottles and a test tube. I don't know how accurate it is and wondered if there is something better to test for ammonia?
    Save the Planet

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi you didn't say if your tank is new or if it has been cycled or not. There are a lot of people on here who will be very helpful in leading through the process. You do need to do water changes every day and continue to use prime. How high is your ammo -nitrite-nitrate you really need those numbers to know what needs to be done and how best to deal with it.
    30 gal Freshwater
    1 young Angel, 6 Pepper Corydoras, 5 Harlequin Rasbora 1 Bristle-nose Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    List the actual ammonia reading [And your pH as well]. Tank size, filtration, and stock also please also. Is this a newly set up tank?

The amount of WC required is determined by your test results. IE: If it's 1ppm you require a %75 WC to bring it to .25 although in a cycled tank you should not have an ammonia reading at all and .25 is simply a level that your BB will [or should] process quickly.

The carbon was a waste of money IMO, It doesn't do what she indicated it does at all. I don't run it on a regular basis [I only use it to remove meds in my QT tank] and IMO you are better off replacing it with a dedicated biomedia [Which will help with the processing of ammonia]

API is a perfectly good hobbyist test kit IMO, There are more accurate tests out there certainly but for our purposes & the price and the availability the API is perfectly adequate IMO.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Totally agree with 850 and butterbean. We need to know a little more. BUT, if you're using prime as your dechlorinator, I wouldn't panic too much about it as it should detoxify the ammonia well enough until you can get the ammonia issue sorted. One thing you can do, is test your tap water just to see if that's where the ammonia readings are coming from, IF your tank is cycled.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to all the above. The specific answer to your question about water changes is you need to do them as often and large as necessary to keep your ammonia level below 0.25ppm. While doing this we need to work out why you have ammonia. If its an uncycled tank, the red articles in the cycling subforum explains what happens and how you make it happen. If its a cycled tank there are a multitude of reasons for an ammonia spike - addition of new fish, overcleaning filters, ph drop causing loss of cycle, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is not cycled or you would not have that ammonia. .

Cycling threads below.