· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Pop eye question

0 Not allowed!
    I have one Serpae Tetra with popeye in one eye. I have had him in the QT for about 2 weeks with regular WC's and aquarium salt. Since this is likely from an injury should I keep him in the QT or am I good to put him back in the display tank?
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    Keep him in QT - From my understanding of popeye, it tends to be caused by poor water conditions (though I understand that's not the only cause) - you moved him from your main tank after you noticed the popeye?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes that's correct, I moved him when I saw it. This is also one of my new fish. I think it is from an injury my self but there is no real way to tell.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to andrea.

It's easier to maintain the pristine water conditions that will help him heal in the QT tank.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah keep him in the QT. Not for the safety of everyone else, but just because the best treatment for popeye is super, super clean water. That is just easier to maintain in a barebottom QT.

I would say you are most likely spot on in thinking its an injury since it is only one eye. As it sounds like you already know, popeye is a symptom and not so much a condition of its own. It can be caused by a wide variety of things, but the two most likely are: 1 eye, injury that became infected. 2 eye, infection due to bacteria causing a buildup of fluid behind the ocular cavity, usually caused by poor water quality.

Sounds like you are doing exactly what you should be to treat it. Good diagnosis on your part. If he isn't showing any improvement from the water changes and marine salt in the next week or so, and/or he gets any worse, I would look into treating with something a little stronger to help him fight the infection.

Does his eye look ok structurally aside from the swelling? As in does it look like he will suffer any vision issues after this? Or is his eye clear and complete but just puffed out? Also is there any ring of red or pale color of the tissue around the eye?
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org