· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Jewel or Kribensis? 75 g African tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone, new here. I have kept tanks for years and years but have always essentially had the same tank: heavily planted, South American, usually with large schools of small fish.

I want to try something new, and will be pulling all the plants from my 75 g except for anubias and crinum, and will be adding rocks to make caves.

I was very excited about keeping Jewels, but as I did some research, it seems like they are too aggressive to keep even a small group of 6-8 in a 75 g- and apparently nothing can be in there with them!

Would you all agree that is true? If so, I will go with Kribs instead, but I really had my heart set on Jewels.

Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    had both fish, if jewels pair up, nothing is safe, if jewels pair up and one is ready before the other, the unready fish is not safe, 6 may be ok never tried it, but i guarantee if some pair up its over. That being said i have kept a single forest jewel with my kribs in my african tank no problem, and its robust enough to protect itself when the kribs breed
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, waack- that seems to be what I am hearing. Disappointing, but that is why it is important to do some research before you start buying fish, right?

If I went with Kribs, could I do 6-8? What other African fish can be kept with them? I know about Congo's, but I want to keep the Cichlids the star of the show- are there other, smaller African schooling fish?

Appreciate the help!

Awards Showcase

Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly 
    Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh 
    Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    the last time I had fish 16+years ago. I started with 6 jewels and ended up with 2; alpha male and female which spawned. two days later they ate the young. But I still loved them. Colors and attitude++. 75 gal may be enough.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Um i had 4 kribs in a much smaller tank (3ft) and the two males competed vigorously, but in a larger tank with enough territories im pretty sure it would be fine, um butterfly fish are from west africa, can be hard to come by but i have seen a few around where i'm from. I had congos they are great and in a 75 i really recommend them. They will act as dithers i have found kribs can be a little bit shy when by themselves, there is even the african neon tetra, but that may be hard to come by. Also jelly been tetra, none are particularly colourful tho
    Last edited by waack; 11-20-2012 at 05:27 AM.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What about bottom feeders? Are there syndodontis that stay small?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Kribs over Jewels D:!!
    Mistake being made right here. Kribs will bore you to death. I have jewels and they are my favorite.
    Buy 3 jewels and wait for a pair (take out the lonely one and return him/her) then stock the tank up with Hap ahli's or a jack dempsey. These fish are aggressive but when placed with hap's or JD's they are timid compared to them.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I vote 1 male Krib, 1 Jewell, They will be fine in a 75gal. Then go back to your s/a roots and go Blue Acara and a school of Congo Tetra.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    I vote 1 male Krib, 1 Jewell, They will be fine in a 75gal. Then go back to your s/a roots and go Blue Acara and a school of Congo Tetra.
    Now there's a smartly stocked tank with beautiful fish.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"