· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can get a clamshell frame for the Emperor and fill with bio-media or filter floss to polish your tank water. This is cheaper than buying the marineland filter cartridges on a regular basis.

$1.19 from

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=11352

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just tested again during lunch break and the nitrite was 2ppm.

This was after a 50% water change yesterday, fish seem to be doing just fine though.

I need to go put more bio balls in the canister, just boggles my mind still how a canister filter is able to grow good/healthy bacteria when there is no air for them to grow (well not much)

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest at least one more 75% water change today as the one you ust did was not enough. 2ppm of nitrite is still pretty high. One more 75% water change would at least get the nitrites closer to 0.25ppm. You have to keep in mind that anything about 0.25ppm is toxic to fish. The long term effects of that can be harmfull to fish so you may not see any changes in their behavior right away
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    +1 for Cliff - get those nitrites down asap - I'd go higher on the water change so that the nitrite does not climb back to the too high range again by the next day. Consider an air stone for the fish and some aquarium salt (1 tsp/10gal - this helps their damaged gills to remove waste from their blood stream - fish don't have kidneys but use their gills. Nitrites can damage the gills.)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, the fish have been in the tank 8 days now. Is the nitrite reading normal for 8 days (i know it's still high)

Also doing these water changes so big, how does that affect the biological part of my filtration.

I really didn't want to get an air stone as I don't think they look all that good, just more tubing to put in water.

I think I have enough surface agitation now that I look at it.

I bought 20 bio-stars last-night and put them in the biological part of my canister, should have plenty now to grow.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by doctavus
    Hmm, the fish have been in the tank 8 days now. Is the nitrite reading normal for 8 days (i know it's still high)

Also doing these water changes so big, how does that affect the biological part of my filtration.

I really didn't want to get an air stone as I don't think they look all that good, just more tubing to put in water.

I think I have enough surface agitation now that I look at it.

I bought 20 bio-stars last-night and put them in the biological part of my canister, should have plenty now to grow.
    Q1: there isn't really a "normal" for when you are cycling. all that matters is you keep it under 0.5ppm for the safety of the fish

Q2: Biological part of the filtration is in the filters itself-not in the water. so water changes does nothing but help. (obviously not doing them hurts)

Q3: Surface agitation-just make sure the water has ripples/some movement that causes the gas exchange needed for the fish to take in

and good job w/ adding more bio media! it'll help.